LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices


Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2017, 11:34 PM   #1
LQSlacker
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Posts: 81

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
SpaceFM Needs A New Maintainer


Since IgnorantGuru stopped development, SpaceFM hasn't seen a new release now in almost 2 years, and it certainly has quite a number of bugs to it, that have yet to be fixed.

Almost a year ago Teklad, said he was going to maintain it, but there has not been much development since his supposed start...

https://github.com/Teklad/spacefm-ng

SpaceFM really needs some serious active development, maybe someone will pick it up soon...
 
Old 12-23-2017, 07:11 AM   #2
_roman_
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2017
Location: _Austro_Bavaria_
Distribution: SLACKWARE 96 -> SUSE 6.2 & REDHAT -> Gentoo & ARCH-Linux & Linux-Mint
Posts: 290

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Why not you?

I saw it quite often in gentoo. users taking over as proxy maintainers

--

also a difference in just applying those bux fixes or improving the software.

Nothing unusual that some software gets not maintained anymore and has to be removed from my box.

In a perfect world I'll still have the choice for gnome 2, kde 3 or even Windows xp with support.

Last edited by _roman_; 12-23-2017 at 07:15 AM.
 
Old 12-23-2017, 07:27 AM   #3
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,808

Rep: Reputation: 3047Reputation: 3047Reputation: 3047Reputation: 3047Reputation: 3047Reputation: 3047Reputation: 3047Reputation: 3047Reputation: 3047Reputation: 3047Reputation: 3047
Did you really have to do this again so soon?

I assume you think that threads like this are helpful information, but you really should have learned by now that they're not.

* puts LQSlacker on ignore

Last edited by dugan; 12-23-2017 at 09:30 AM.
 
Old 12-29-2017, 11:47 PM   #4
LQSlacker
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Posts: 81

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
Did you really have to do this again so soon?

I assume you think that threads like this are helpful information, but you really should have learned by now that they're not.

* puts LQSlacker on ignore

What's the problem with making a few posts about great apps that have not seen any development?

IgnorantGuru the developer of SpaceFM has stepped off the scene...

You're trolling and it's not apprecaited, I didn't notice you were designated the Forum Police, as to what is helpful and not helpful information, and then posting ignore in public.

You have nothing helpful to contribute or say, then PLEASE don't bother posting anything, just GO AWAY!
 
Old 12-30-2017, 07:12 AM   #5
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,919
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209
Moderator response

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQSlacker View Post
What's the problem with making a few posts about great apps that have not seen any development?
Nothing as long as the posts do not violate LQ Rules
You have previously pointed out other apps that need maintainers. May I suggest that you contact said maintainer to see if indeed a need for assistance is necessary. Not just on chat or a forum but direct contact before injecting something here at LQ. I also suggest that you look at FOSS;
Quote:
Free and open-source software (FOSS) is software that can be classified as both free software and open-source software.[a] That is, anyone is freely licensed to use, copy, study, and change the software in any way, and the source code is openly shared so that people are encouraged to voluntarily improve the design of the software.[3] This is in contrast to proprietary software, where the software is under restrictive copyright and the source code is usually hidden from the users.
The benefits of using FOSS can include decreased software costs, increased security and stability (especially in regard to malware), protecting privacy, education, and giving users more control over their own hardware. Free, open-source operating systems such as Linux and descendents of BSD are widely utilized today, powering millions of servers, desktops, smartphones (e.g. Android), and other devices.[4][5] Free software licenses and open-source licenses are used by many software packages. The Free software movement and the open-source software movement are online social movements behind widespread production and adoption of FOSS.
Please notice the opening paragraph! You are encouraged to;
Quote:
use, copy, study, and change the software in any way, and the source code is openly shared so that people are encouraged to voluntarily improve the design of the software.[3]
To continually ask openly for others to do something can be offending to some since it would seem you are shifting to others. Just like 'chicken little' running around saying the 'sky is falling'. People tend to want to ignore and are offended by said actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQSlacker View Post
IgnorantGuru the developer of SpaceFM has stepped off the scene...

You're trolling and it's not apprecaited, I didn't notice you were designated the Forum Police, as to what is helpful and not helpful information, and then posting ignore in public.
It is the choice of the member to select 'ignore'. Nothing wrong with members noting that a said member will be ignored. Thicken the skin a bit! We do allow a lot of self regulation here at LQ so the load is not to great on the moderators. Most members are polite and I will not comment on how they submit such as long as the LQ Rules are followed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQSlacker View Post
You have nothing helpful to contribute or say, then PLEASE don't bother posting anything, just GO AWAY!
As I said;
Quote:
LQ Rules
  • Flame Wars will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post if you do not have anything constructive to say in the post.
Your last reply does not follow those same rules. As pointed by other LQ members, think before you press submit. How will my post be read by others? Is it constructive? Within LQ guide lines and LQ Rules ?

I suggest that you read; https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...#faq_lqwelcome and maybe reread LQ Rules to refresh your memory
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
LQSlacker
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Posts: 81

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Before anyone starts reading, take a deep breath and relax, I'm not mad, or trying to be fat headed, rude, or anything negative you might imagine. So please read as I'm smiling and talking to you, and maybe now, we can clear the air and move forward.

I don't see I violated any rules, and of course this subject matter has been discussed many other placed besides LQ in search of active development once again on these apps...

To say ask openly about this, you have the wrong point of view and thoughts here, this is not like going around as you are saying, no one is asking for donations to my cause or helping me on something privately, this is for the benefit of the entire Linux Community World Wide...

This post has nothing to do with asking for anything, but to also remind, or let people know who might not know that the development of this project is over...

There are a lot of Newbies out there, some serious C coder may of stepped into the scene and has no idea of any of this...

Let's all not make assumptions ok, because this is all I am seeing going on, you too onebuck, when you mentioned I'm continually asking, sorry, but you're wrong, no one is asking anything, I'm just talking about a subject and sharing...

Look back up and read the post and see where I'm asking something, there isn't, this is just sharing information, and that goes the same for the Openbox post I made.

So I come on the forum in good faith, make a post in the General section of the forum, did nothing wrong, and I get back lashing over it, I see this actually as a violation if anything towards forum members.


Anyhow, let's all be happy, and let's all try not to be so negative in 2018!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Cheers

Last edited by LQSlacker; 12-30-2017 at 10:02 PM.
 
Old 12-31-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
rokytnji
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 17 , ChromeOS
Posts: 5,286
Blog Entries: 20

Rep: Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495Reputation: 2495
Well, I get by OK with

https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/wiki/plugins
 
Old 12-31-2017, 12:05 PM   #8
ChuangTzu
Member
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Where ever needed
Distribution: Slackware/Salix, FreeBSD, Mageia, Debian
Posts: 568

Rep: Reputation: 400Reputation: 400Reputation: 400Reputation: 400Reputation: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQSlacker View Post
Before anyone starts reading, take a deep breath and relax, I'm not mad, or trying to be fat headed, rude, or anything negative you might imagine. So please read as I'm smiling and talking to you, and maybe now, we can clear the air and move forward.

I don't see I violated any rules, and of course this subject matter has been discussed many other placed besides LQ in search of active development once again on these apps...

To say ask openly about this, you have the wrong point of view and thoughts here, this is not like going around as you are saying, no one is asking for donations to my cause or helping me on something privately, this is for the benefit of the entire Linux Community World Wide...

This post has nothing to do with asking for anything, but to also remind, or let people know who might not know that the development of this project is over...

There are a lot of Newbies out there, some serious C coder may of stepped into the scene and has no idea of any of this...

Let's all not make assumptions ok, because this is all I am seeing going on, you too onebuck, when you mentioned I'm continually asking, sorry, but you're wrong, no one is asking anything, I'm just talking about a subject and sharing...

Look back up and read the post and see where I'm asking something, there isn't, this is just sharing information, and that goes the same for the Openbox post I made.

So I come on the forum in good faith, make a post in the General section of the forum, did nothing wrong, and I get back lashing over it, I see this actually as a violation if anything towards forum members.


Anyhow, let's all be happy, and let's all try not to be so negative in 2018!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Cheers
Seriously, this is your response to a moderator? and you think ending with Cheers will mask the sarcasm and tone of bold font...lol

Also, an unmaintained program is not necessarily dead or a security risk, maintainers taking a break does not mean its dead, a program thats dead can be resurrected by another (just need a little coding holy water and the right spells). Posts like this are reminiscent of the old Taoist proverb "don't yell fire, watching others run to the rescue while you refill your cup of water."
 
Old 12-31-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,919
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209Reputation: 2209
Moderator response

Since the OP does not understand that the posting styles are not warranted nor constructive to the thread then I am closing this thread. If the OP has any question then feel free to contact me.
 
  


Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] How to become a maintainer of a slackbuild zasavage Slackware 3 11-03-2012 11:03 AM
LXer: SpaceFM: Highly Customizable, Multi-Pane File Manager LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-16-2012 01:21 AM
Looking for a maintainer for Debian ... kydpdict patrick295767 Debian 1 08-02-2010 12:11 AM
SlackRoll maintainer rg3 LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 1 07-23-2007 07:22 PM
xkb maintainer Cyborg16 Linux - Software 1 02-19-2006 06:31 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration