LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Bodhi
User Name
Password
Bodhi This forum is for the discussion of Bodhi Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2019, 03:08 AM   #1
levski
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How to install Bodhi on a PC that already has Windows XP?


My question is very newbie.

I've successfully booted Bodhi Linux (Legacy version)on my old PC that has Windows XP.
How to delete Windows XP and create new partition?
I know that I have to create root and swap area,but I don't know the best size for a root and swap.
My old PC has around 40 GB.Around 21GB are used by Windows XP (I guess) and 19GB are free.
The "Eraze everything and install" page doesn't appear.Instead,there's a partition menu with the sda1 and sda5 and how much MB they have.
 
Old 03-28-2019, 04:42 AM   #2
the_waiter
Bodhi Developer
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Location: Banská Bystrica, Slovakia
Distribution: Bodhi Linux
Posts: 387

Rep: Reputation: 348Reputation: 348Reputation: 348Reputation: 348
Hello

I am not in front of Bodhi machine just now so maybe this link I can provide to provide some help:
https://www.bodhilinux.com/w/installation-instructions/

Stefan
 
Old 03-28-2019, 06:04 AM   #3
cordx
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2018
Location: texas
Distribution: bodhi 5.0
Posts: 247

Rep: Reputation: 47
is it the installer that you are saying is showing a partition menu? could you share a screenshot of what you are looking at?
 
Old 03-28-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
levski
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordx View Post
is it the installer that you are saying is showing a partition menu? could you share a screenshot of what you are looking at?
Yes the Bodhi installer is showing the partition menu with a green/orange line at the top.
Screenshot attached.Click image for larger version

Name:	shot-2019-03-28_07-54-14.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	30199

Last edited by levski; 03-28-2019 at 08:47 AM.
 
Old 03-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #5
levski
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_waiter View Post
Hello

I am not in front of Bodhi machine just now so maybe this link I can provide to provide some help:
https://www.bodhilinux.com/w/installation-instructions/

Stefan
I know about those installation instructions.They aren't helpful for me.
 
Old 03-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
enigma9o7
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Location: Silicon Valley
Distribution: Bodhi 5 (Ubuntu 18.04)
Posts: 225

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I think the installer only gives you that option when there's just one partion.

So you want to to erase everything, right? If so, it's not like you're going to mess anything up experimenting. I'd try selecting a partition and hitting [-] on them, see if you can erase them that way. If not there's gotta be some way to delete partitions from that thing.

At that point, you could try to install again (maybe reboot) and see if the installer automatically creates the partitions for you.

If it doesn't, just keep playing around. If you have to manually pick a size for your swap, google for better info if you want, but iirc you should make it equal or greater than your total ram so that it can be used for hibernation; but I really no expert on that.
 
Old 03-28-2019, 06:41 PM   #7
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 8,471

Rep: Reputation: 1728Reputation: 1728Reputation: 1728Reputation: 1728Reputation: 1728Reputation: 1728Reputation: 1728Reputation: 1728Reputation: 1728Reputation: 1728Reputation: 1728
Have you tried to test boot this usb on another computer? If you don't see the Erase Disk and Something Else option, you probably have bad download or write to the usb.
Most of the Ubuntu derivatives like Bodhi have GParted. Have you tried running gparted in a terminal to delete/format partitions? I would think the suggestion in post 6 above would work.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:17 AM   #8
levski
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
Have you tried to test boot this usb on another computer? If you don't see the Erase Disk and Something Else option, you probably have bad download or write to the usb.
Most of the Ubuntu derivatives like Bodhi have GParted. Have you tried running gparted in a terminal to delete/format partitions? I would think the suggestion in post 6 above would work.
I forgot to mention that I booted the ISO file using Unetbootin.I haven't tried Gparted.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:45 AM   #9
levski
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma9o7 View Post
I think the installer only gives you that option when there's just one partion.

So you want to to erase everything, right? If so, it's not like you're going to mess anything up experimenting. I'd try selecting a partition and hitting [-] on them, see if you can erase them that way. If not there's gotta be some way to delete partitions from that thing.

At that point, you could try to install again (maybe reboot) and see if the installer automatically creates the partitions for you.

If it doesn't, just keep playing around. If you have to manually pick a size for your swap, google for better info if you want, but iirc you should make it equal or greater than your total ram so that it can be used for hibernation; but I really no expert on that.
I've selected the partitions and clicked [-] and it works.I deleted the partitions,but I don't know what to do with the root and swap.Should the root be ntfs?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:51 AM   #10
cordx
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2018
Location: texas
Distribution: bodhi 5.0
Posts: 247

Rep: Reputation: 47
your root partition should be ext4 as it is the newest version of ext that works well with linux distributions. ntfs is specific to windows installs.

as far as the swap partition goes, it is helpful to think about what you intend to use swap for. if i recall correctly, when i installed bodhi 5 i got a swap file instead of a partition but chose to add a partition because i have multiple distros on my hdd and am also interested in hibernation.
 
Old 03-29-2019, 01:35 PM   #11
enigma9o7
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Location: Silicon Valley
Distribution: Bodhi 5 (Ubuntu 18.04)
Posts: 225

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Also, if you removed all the partitions, you could just restart the installer (maybe reboot), I'd imagine if there's no partitions it'll create them for you. Just guessing.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:24 PM   #12
crajor
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Location: Akron, Ohio
Distribution: bodhi linux
Posts: 24

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
install at this point

At this point I would agree with Enigma9o7. A reboot of the live USB may very well set up a set of default
partitions for you. If swap is not part of that set up, add it if you can. Swap partition is gonna leave you happier.
A swap file actually takes up space on the root directory, and swap partition separates this dynamic data out
of the file system.
Now, as food for thought, you may want to create partitions to separate out your /home and /usr directories.
With 40GB of space, you certainly have the room. However, if you feel this is currently beyond you, just work with
the defaults.

Hope this helps Craig
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #13
levski
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by crajor View Post
At this point I would agree with Enigma9o7. A reboot of the live USB may very well set up a set of default
partitions for you. If swap is not part of that set up, add it if you can. Swap partition is gonna leave you happier.
A swap file actually takes up space on the root directory, and swap partition separates this dynamic data out
of the file system.
Now, as food for thought, you may want to create partitions to separate out your /home and /usr directories.
With 40GB of space, you certainly have the room. However, if you feel this is currently beyond you, just work with
the defaults.

Hope this helps Craig
The linux installer simply can't delete windows xp and can't create root and swap.It deleted someting and now Win XP can't boot (Operating system not found).I don't have bootable cd/usb so i guess i'll have to visit the computer repair shop.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bodhi does not recognize the NFTS partitioned drive. Trying to use virtual box to run windows in bodhi on my dual boot computer a minimal virus Linux - Newbie 4 11-24-2018 07:02 AM
Bootmgr missing Bodhi Linux install attempt from thumb drive/laptop already has win7 and xubuntu installed farnam4 Linux - Newbie 4 09-01-2018 06:29 AM
Bodhi Linux Live USB not booting on preinstalled Windows 10 laptop-- already tried secure/fast boot on/off aviralgarg Linux - Newbie 11 03-26-2016 04:31 PM
LXer: Bodhi Linux 2.4.0 Released, One Year Left Until Bodhi 3.0.0 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-14-2013 05:21 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Bodhi

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration