Solaris / OpenSolarisThis forum is for the discussion of Solaris and OpenSolaris.
General Sun, SunOS and Sparc related questions also go here.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I have a puzzle that I'm hoping someone has already solved...
Our Solaris environment uses NIS, NFS, and PC-Netlink. Recently we introduced Red Hat Linux into the mix. The linux workstations are fully integrated using NIS and NFS. Because of that they have access to files that are also shared out with PC-Netlink to our PC environment.
What we've noticed is that PC files are having their group permissions randomly changed and also files that shouldn't be accessed by PC users are showing up with DOS group permissions.
As I've examined this I found that Solaris and Linux have significant differences in UID and GID assignments. What is particularly disturbing is the range of GID's between 10 and 20 which are mostly used in Solaris for PC-Netlink. In Linux some of these are used by wheel, news, and uucp among others. There are also some UID assignments that concern me.
What I'm afraid is happening is that a linux user going about his/her normal, legitimate activity is inadvertently effecting files thru PC-Netlink in some way.
My questions are basically these:
1) Does anyone have a recommended approach for integrating Linux into an NIS, NFS, PC-Netlink environment? (I'm sure I can't be the first to have experienced this problem.)
2) If not, can the GID's, in particular, used by PC-Netlink be reassigned to other numbers, either on the Linux or Solaris side? Is changing the UID's or GID's the best approach to this problem?
3) Are there any other similar issues that anyone has ran accross?
Just in case someone else struggles with this, here's what I found out. It appears that conflict between Linux and Solaris UID's and GID's had nothing to do with this problem. It was a PC-Netlink problem all along.
PC-Netlink was set up to store PC users' permissions. It overwrote the UID and GID's that Solaris had originally. It had always been set up this way, but apparently no PC users were accessing the files until recently, which just happend to coincide with the introduction of our Linux boxes.
I changed the way that PC-Netlink stores the user permissions for PC users accessing files and the behavior seems to have gone away. I set it so that the default is to use Solaris UID and GID's.
Thanks to anyone who at least thought about my problem.