LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
Lufbery
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Distribution: Slackware 64 14.0
Posts: 1,142
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 119Reputation: 119
What size USB disk is boot rescue disk?


Hi all,

I'll be installing Slackware 12 on my IBM laptop with its brand new hard drive this weekend. What size USB stick do I need to create the USB bootdisk?

Would a 128 MB disk be enough?

Thanks,

-Drew
 
Old 11-28-2007, 08:50 AM   #2
Alien_Hominid
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Lithuania
Distribution: Hybrid
Posts: 2,247

Rep: Reputation: 53
If it (bootdisk image) fits on floppy, 128 MB USB should be more than enough.
 
Old 11-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #3
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 11,050
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Hominid View Post
If it (bootdisk image) fits on floppy, 128 MB USB should be more than enough.
The 2.6 kernel will not fit on a 1.44MB floppy;

Quote:
excerpt from README_USB.TXT
Installing Slackware using a bootable USB stick
===============================================

**WARNING:**
The procedure outlined below will destroy all data that is currently
stored on the USB stick you use to create a USB Slackware installer.


Introduction
------------

With the release of Slackware 12.0, the era of floppy-boot has come
to a definite end. The reason is simple - the Linux 2.6 kernel will not
fit on a single floppy, even in it's most condensed configuration.
In this README, I will show you how to use a bootable USB stick to
install Slackware. This method - creating the USB equivalent of a
boot/root floppy pair - is easy to use and fast. It requires that your
computer is able to boot from USB-HDD.
.
.
.
 
Old 11-28-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 11,050
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373Reputation: 1373
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufbery View Post
Hi all,

I'll be installing Slackware 12 on my IBM laptop with its brand new hard drive this weekend. What size USB stick do I need to create the USB bootdisk?

Would a 128 MB disk be enough?

Thanks,

-Drew
You can use a small flash drive (64MB) if you can still find them.

You can always use the Slackware 12 install cd1 to recover in an emergency.

README_USB.TXT has some good information.
 
Old 11-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
Lufbery
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Distribution: Slackware 64 14.0
Posts: 1,142
Blog Entries: 29

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 119Reputation: 119
Thanks guys.
 
Old 12-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Tupelo, MS
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 6,926

Rep: Reputation: 124Reputation: 124
Here's the size of the USB boot image, mates:
Code:
mingdao@james:~/sas/screenshots/current$ ls -lh /server2/ftp/pub/Linux/Slackware/slackware-12.0/usb-and-pxe-installers/usbboot.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 mingdao users 24M 2007-07-01 08:56 /server2/ftp/pub/Linux/Slackware/slackware-12.0/usb-and-pxe-installers/usbboot.img
No need for you to guess anymore.

 
Old 12-01-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
AceofSpades19
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Chilliwack,BC.Canada
Distribution: Slackware64 -current
Posts: 2,079

Rep: Reputation: 57
would it be possible to parition a usb stick, so that the boot disk installs to one parition and you can use the rest for data in large usb sticks?
 
Old 12-01-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Tupelo, MS
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 6,926

Rep: Reputation: 124Reputation: 124
No. Read ./slackware-12.0/usb-and-pxe-installers/README_USB.TXT
 
Old 12-02-2007, 06:35 AM   #9
Lufbery
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Distribution: Slackware 64 14.0
Posts: 1,142
Blog Entries: 29

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 119Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hill View Post
Here's the size of the USB boot image, mates:
Code:
mingdao@james:~/sas/screenshots/current$ ls -lh /server2/ftp/pub/Linux/Slackware/slackware-12.0/usb-and-pxe-installers/usbboot.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 mingdao users 24M 2007-07-01 08:56 /server2/ftp/pub/Linux/Slackware/slackware-12.0/usb-and-pxe-installers/usbboot.img
No need for you to guess anymore.

Perfect. Thanks!
 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #10
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,192

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofSpades19 View Post
would it be possible to parition a usb stick, so that the boot disk installs to one parition and you can use the rest for data in large usb sticks?
If you're willing to learn a little, I have written scripts that do just that: take a Slackware 12.0 package tree, and create an ISO image that you can copy to a USB stick;
See http://www.slackware.com/~alien/tools/usbinstall/12.0/
If the README is not enough to get you going, let me know. I have a USB stick with a complete Slackware 12.0 installer in my pocket all the time - no more need for a DVD.

Eric
 
Old 12-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
AceofSpades19
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Chilliwack,BC.Canada
Distribution: Slackware64 -current
Posts: 2,079

Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
If you're willing to learn a little, I have written scripts that do just that: take a Slackware 12.0 package tree, and create an ISO image that you can copy to a USB stick;
See http://www.slackware.com/~alien/tools/usbinstall/12.0/
If the README is not enough to get you going, let me know. I have a USB stick with a complete Slackware 12.0 installer in my pocket all the time - no more need for a DVD.

Eric
Sweet!. I'll gives this a try, thanks
 
Old 12-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Tupelo, MS
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 6,926

Rep: Reputation: 124Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
If you're willing to learn a little, I have written scripts that do just that: take a Slackware 12.0 package tree, and create an ISO image that you can copy to a USB stick;
See http://www.slackware.com/~alien/tools/usbinstall/12.0/
If the README is not enough to get you going, let me know. I have a USB stick with a complete Slackware 12.0 installer in my pocket all the time - no more need for a DVD.

Eric
I stand corrected ...
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
usb rescue disk Nikosis Slackware 5 02-08-2007 01:36 PM
Windows Boot rescue disk from Linux?? THX1138 Linux - General 2 05-05-2004 04:22 AM
Universal Rescue Disk/pcmcia boot dot_txt Linux - General 2 11-02-2003 06:59 AM
Boot disk, rescue disk deepika Linux - General 3 07-08-2003 01:17 PM
Boot/Rescue disk nero64 Linux - Newbie 3 12-12-2002 03:33 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration