LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware - Installation (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-installation-40/)
-   -   What size USB disk is boot rescue disk? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-installation-40/what-size-usb-disk-is-boot-rescue-disk-602986/)

Lufbery 11-28-2007 08:47 AM

What size USB disk is boot rescue disk?
 
Hi all,

I'll be installing Slackware 12 on my IBM laptop with its brand new hard drive this weekend. What size USB stick do I need to create the USB bootdisk?

Would a 128 MB disk be enough?

Thanks,

-Drew

Alien_Hominid 11-28-2007 08:50 AM

If it (bootdisk image) fits on floppy, 128 MB USB should be more than enough. ;)

onebuck 11-28-2007 01:38 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alien_Hominid (Post 2973351)
If it (bootdisk image) fits on floppy, 128 MB USB should be more than enough. ;)

The 2.6 kernel will not fit on a 1.44MB floppy;

Quote:

excerpt from README_USB.TXT
Installing Slackware using a bootable USB stick
===============================================

**WARNING:**
The procedure outlined below will destroy all data that is currently
stored on the USB stick you use to create a USB Slackware installer.


Introduction
------------

With the release of Slackware 12.0, the era of floppy-boot has come
to a definite end. The reason is simple - the Linux 2.6 kernel will not
fit on a single floppy, even in it's most condensed configuration.
In this README, I will show you how to use a bootable USB stick to
install Slackware. This method - creating the USB equivalent of a
boot/root floppy pair - is easy to use and fast. It requires that your
computer is able to boot from USB-HDD.
.
.
.

onebuck 11-28-2007 01:43 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lufbery (Post 2973349)
Hi all,

I'll be installing Slackware 12 on my IBM laptop with its brand new hard drive this weekend. What size USB stick do I need to create the USB bootdisk?

Would a 128 MB disk be enough?

Thanks,

-Drew

You can use a small flash drive (64MB) if you can still find them.

You can always use the Slackware 12 install cd1 to recover in an emergency.

README_USB.TXT has some good information.

Lufbery 11-30-2007 03:19 PM

Thanks guys.

Bruce Hill 12-01-2007 10:03 PM

Here's the size of the USB boot image, mates:
Code:

mingdao@james:~/sas/screenshots/current$ ls -lh /server2/ftp/pub/Linux/Slackware/slackware-12.0/usb-and-pxe-installers/usbboot.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 mingdao users 24M 2007-07-01 08:56 /server2/ftp/pub/Linux/Slackware/slackware-12.0/usb-and-pxe-installers/usbboot.img

No need for you to guess anymore.

:D

AceofSpades19 12-01-2007 10:14 PM

would it be possible to parition a usb stick, so that the boot disk installs to one parition and you can use the rest for data in large usb sticks?

Bruce Hill 12-01-2007 10:19 PM

No. Read ./slackware-12.0/usb-and-pxe-installers/README_USB.TXT

Lufbery 12-02-2007 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Hill (Post 2977185)
Here's the size of the USB boot image, mates:
Code:

mingdao@james:~/sas/screenshots/current$ ls -lh /server2/ftp/pub/Linux/Slackware/slackware-12.0/usb-and-pxe-installers/usbboot.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 mingdao users 24M 2007-07-01 08:56 /server2/ftp/pub/Linux/Slackware/slackware-12.0/usb-and-pxe-installers/usbboot.img

No need for you to guess anymore.

:D

Perfect. Thanks!

Alien Bob 12-02-2007 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceofSpades19 (Post 2977192)
would it be possible to parition a usb stick, so that the boot disk installs to one parition and you can use the rest for data in large usb sticks?

If you're willing to learn a little, I have written scripts that do just that: take a Slackware 12.0 package tree, and create an ISO image that you can copy to a USB stick;
See http://www.slackware.com/~alien/tools/usbinstall/12.0/
If the README is not enough to get you going, let me know. I have a USB stick with a complete Slackware 12.0 installer in my pocket all the time - no more need for a DVD.

Eric

AceofSpades19 12-02-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alien Bob (Post 2977544)
If you're willing to learn a little, I have written scripts that do just that: take a Slackware 12.0 package tree, and create an ISO image that you can copy to a USB stick;
See http://www.slackware.com/~alien/tools/usbinstall/12.0/
If the README is not enough to get you going, let me know. I have a USB stick with a complete Slackware 12.0 installer in my pocket all the time - no more need for a DVD.

Eric

Sweet!. I'll gives this a try, thanks

Bruce Hill 12-02-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alien Bob (Post 2977544)
If you're willing to learn a little, I have written scripts that do just that: take a Slackware 12.0 package tree, and create an ISO image that you can copy to a USB stick;
See http://www.slackware.com/~alien/tools/usbinstall/12.0/
If the README is not enough to get you going, let me know. I have a USB stick with a complete Slackware 12.0 installer in my pocket all the time - no more need for a DVD.

Eric

I stand corrected ...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.