LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #61
fskmh
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2002
Location: South Africa
Distribution: Slackware64-current multilib
Posts: 235

Rep: Reputation: 55

Wiki feature matrix with a few selected wikis:

http://www.wikimatrix.org/compare/Do...pware+TracWiki
 
Old 08-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #62
zithro
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
As a new Slackware user, and having to hop from sites to sites to find information, the idea of a centralized/organized/up-to-date documentation site is nice ! Like a Slack's ITIL SPOC ?
If help is needed, I'd be happy to share my time. Dunno for what, though. Maybe feedbacks from a slacknoob point of view.

We would need a Slackware target version (v13.37, v14, ...) for documents. Or a MIN/MAX version number. And also agree with a starting version number. For example, a WPA guide for Slack 3.0 is useless (ok, weird example but you get my point).

Regarding translations: English is IT's "unofficialy adopted"/historical technical language. Man/info pages are all in English. Commands, functions, scripts too. So let's stick with it, no ?
As per the Linus excerpt, and the KISS principle, translations can add monstruous problems (technical and organizational).
And as many of us are not native english speakers, I think the English level will be average enough for everybody to understand, no ?

Last edited by zithro; 08-19-2012 at 12:35 PM.
 
Old 08-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #63
Didier Spaier
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware{,64}-{14.1,current} on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 6457-4XG
Posts: 4,541

Rep: Reputation: 1190Reputation: 1190Reputation: 1190Reputation: 1190Reputation: 1190Reputation: 1190Reputation: 1190Reputation: 1190Reputation: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by zithro View Post
Regarding translations: English is IT's "unofficialy adopted"/historical technical language. Man/info pages are all in English. Commands, functions, scripts too. So let's stick with it, no ?
As per the Linus excerpt, and the KISS principle, translations can add monstruous problems (technical and organizational).
And as many of us are not native english speakers, I think the English level will be average enough for everybody to understand, no ?
I respectfully disagree.

Let anybody contribute in his or her native language, if so inclined.

If you look at Arch wiki you will see that these guys & gals are able to do that, so why wouldn't we?

Maybe we could learn from them what are the pitfalls and how to deal with it.

Of course it will take time for pages in other languages than English to appear, but as we say in my country "Paris ne s'est pas fait en un jour".

And please note that Slackware itself is usable even by people writing in ideographic languages, using SCIM for instance.
 
Old 08-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #64
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,082
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
A lot of things haven't changed between releases. Can't think of any really significant ones, but my brain's gone into standby, so...Support for releases before 12.1 has been dropped, but there is still the possibility of people wanting to try the old stuff via virtualisation, like I did a couple of years ago.
 
Old 08-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #65
mrclisdue
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Slackware -current, 14.1
Posts: 1,049

Rep: Reputation: 170Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
On the ladder of linux knowledge, I'm about one-and-a-half rungs above a newbie. One foot on the ladder, the other dangling over the abyss.

So, that's YOUR rump I'm glaring up at...?

cheers,
 
Old 08-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #66
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,581
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by zithro View Post
As a new Slackware user, and having to hop from sites to sites to find information, the idea of a centralized/organized/up-to-date documentation site is nice ! Like a Slack's ITIL SPOC ?
If help is needed, I'd be happy to share my time. Dunno for what, though. Maybe feedbacks from a slacknoob point of view.

We would need a Slackware target version (v13.37, v14, ...) for documents. Or a MIN/MAX version number. And also agree with a starting version number. For example, a WPA guide for Slack 3.0 is useless (ok, weird example but you get my point).

Regarding translations: English is IT's "unofficialy adopted"/historical technical language. Man/info pages are all in English. Commands, functions, scripts too. So let's stick with it, no ?
As per the Linus excerpt, and the KISS principle, translations can add monstruous problems (technical and organizational).
And as many of us are not native english speakers, I think the English level will be average enough for everybody to understand, no ?
My personal opinion would be that the English version would be a priority and that's what we would focus on. The slackwiki admins and most of its editors would not have to worry about anything else. Later on, any translations would, imho, inevitably have to be down to any willing people who have linguistic skills and time to contribute in a particular language.

Before we worry about translations, let us make sure we have something to translate first.
 
Old 08-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #67
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,082
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclisdue View Post
So, that's YOUR rump I'm glaring up at...?

cheers,
Yeah. Must be. Not a pretty sight, is it?
 
Old 08-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #68
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,082
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
British English or American English?
 
Old 08-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #69
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware64
Posts: 1,869

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 937Reputation: 937Reputation: 937Reputation: 937Reputation: 937Reputation: 937Reputation: 937Reputation: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
British English or American English?
In my case, French English with a slight Austrian accent
 
Old 08-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #70
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,581
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
British English or American English?
ic ■ence Šldu Englisc Ýs betst

Last edited by sycamorex; 08-19-2012 at 02:34 PM.
 
Old 08-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #71
rinias
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Distribution: Slackware64-14.0
Posts: 58

Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
British English or American English?
Doesn't matter, I'd say. Leave it up to the author. As long as it's consistent in the section, things will work out well.

I think we should definitely have translations into other languages. We have many on this board who are able to contribute, some who try, and there must be many others who struggle through. Documentation in one's mother tongue is a wonderful thing. I don't think there's any worry that the English sections won't be filled, so there's hardly a need to emphasize it.

Emphasise? Mouarf.
 
Old 08-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #72
zithro
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier
Let anybody contribute in his or her native language, if so inclined
I totally agree with you. I'm french too, and if I imagine myself being a young guy willing to learn Slack BUT who needs to learn English first, I'd be hammered by this HUGE learning curve ...
But having translations requires a lot of staff, and it's very hard to check if translations are correct. For example, there may be enough french speaking people here to check if someone's translation is correct, but what about 'less spoken' languages (by contributors amount I mean) ? So, definitely not saying NO, rather LATER. But I still think this should be a separate project (or a project in the project). By the way, I'd be happy to help translating from EN to FR.
In fact, this is a better version of what I think:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamorex
Before we worry about translations, let us make sure we have something to translate first
As per :
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL
A lot of things haven't changed between releases.
But not "nothing has changed" . From my newbie point of view, when i read CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT and see for instance "l/hal-info - obsolete; replaced by various udev components" and "l/hal - obsolete; replaced by upower, udisks, various others", I wonder if reading an article about how to install a USB stick or HDD handled by HAL has much sense if I'm running Slack v14 (please don't stick to the technical correctness here as I barely know what I'm talking about). Just saying, every documentation becomes outdated at some point. And IT's a fast world ...

EDIT (damn im slow):
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamorex
ic ■ence Šldu Englisc Ýs betst
Is that Gaelic ?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL
British English or American English?
I'll stick with what I said, American English. But in my case, French English with a slight Alsacian accent

Last edited by zithro; 08-19-2012 at 02:45 PM.
 
Old 08-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #73
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,082
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by zithro View Post
As per :

But not "nothing has changed" . From my newbie point of view, when i read CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT and see for instance "l/hal-info - obsolete; replaced by various udev components" and "l/hal - obsolete; replaced by upower, udisks, various others", I wonder if reading an article about how to install a USB stick or HDD handled by HAL has much sense if I'm running Slack v14 (please don't stick to the technical correctness here as I barely know what I'm talking about). Just saying, every documentation becomes outdated at some point. And IT's a fast world ...
Oh, yeah, forgot about those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zithro View Post
Is that Gaelic ?!
Old English

Quote:
Originally Posted by zithro View Post
I'll stick with what I said, American English. But in my case, French English with a slight Alsacian accent
And in my case: English English with an Oldham accent.
 
Old 08-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #74
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,581
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033Reputation: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by zithro View Post
I
Is that Gaelic ?!
No, that's Old English. English as used around 1000 years ago.
 
Old 08-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #75
vtel57
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 864

Rep: Reputation: 89
The ArchWiki is probably one of the finest examples of community-supported documentation that I've ever run across. To create a Slackware wiki project using the ArchWiki as a model would be a most excellent thing, I believe. Slackware's documentation, tips and tricks, how-tos, etc. are pretty much spread out over the Internet on IRC, private blogs, and miscellaneous support forums. To gather all that wonderful community supplied data into one place would be orgasmic to most Slackers like myself. As I said on Alien Pastures blog just a few moments ago, I would most definitely like to be a part of this project.

Regards,

~Eric

P.S. Alien Bob, systemd isn't that bad.
 
  


Reply

Tags
documentation, slackware


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linux Documentation Project ask for Help jdd Linux - News 0 09-15-2008 02:37 AM
beginners documentation project? ichrispa LQ Suggestions & Feedback 1 01-13-2006 06:19 AM
The Windows Documentation Project CoolAJ86 General 3 08-29-2005 09:05 PM
The Fedora Documentation Project the shadows Fedora 0 03-22-2004 12:01 AM
Documentation project paradoxlight General 1 10-16-2003 11:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration