LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
tronayne
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Northeastern Michigan, where Carhartt is a Designer Label
Distribution: Slackware 32- & 64-bit Stable
Posts: 3,077

Rep: Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788
Slackware 13.0, VirtualBox and USB Flash Drive Works (Sorta)


After a lot of fooling around (and some good advice from some folks), I've discovered that this entry in /etc/fstab will allow VirtualBox to "see" a flash drive plugged into a USB port (and a guest WinXP installation sees it and connects to it):
Code:
none             /proc/bus/usb    usbfs       devgid=102,devmode=664 0 0
On the downside, Slackware 13.0 can't see it anymore, but you can't have everything, I s'pect. I suppose I can just edit /etc/fstab whenever I want to use a flash drive then edit it back again so the automagic mount will happen ... or just add a mount point in /mnt and manually mount it when I need it.

Ah, progress.
 
Old 10-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
catkin
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Tamil Nadu, India
Distribution: Servers: Debian Squeeze and Wheezy. Desktop: Slackware64 14.0. Netbook: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 8,551
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tronayne View Post
After a lot of fooling around (and some good advice from some folks), I've discovered that this entry in /etc/fstab will allow VirtualBox to "see" a flash drive plugged into a USB port (and a guest WinXP installation sees it and connects to it):
Code:
none             /proc/bus/usb    usbfs       devgid=102,devmode=664 0 0
On the downside, Slackware 13.0 can't see it anymore, but you can't have everything, I s'pect. I suppose I can just edit /etc/fstab whenever I want to use a flash drive then edit it back again so the automagic mount will happen ... or just add a mount point in /mnt and manually mount it when I need it.

Ah, progress.
The solution may be to use devgid=83 (where 83 is plugdev) and to ensure the user of VirtualBox VMs is in group plugdev.

Last edited by catkin; 10-19-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Spurious apostrophe expungement :-)
 
Old 10-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
tronayne
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Northeastern Michigan, where Carhartt is a Designer Label
Distribution: Slackware 32- & 64-bit Stable
Posts: 3,077

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788Reputation: 788
With sincere thanks to catkin, changing the /etc/fstab entry to
Code:
none             /proc/bus/usb    usbfs       devgid=83,devmode=664 0 0
(where 83 is the GID of the plugdev group) works on both the Slackware side and the VirtualBox side.

Last edited by tronayne; 10-19-2009 at 02:54 PM.
 
Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Domine
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Posts: 31

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tronayne View Post
With sincere thanks to catkin, changing the /etc/fstab entry to
Code:
none             /proc/bus/usb    usbfs       devgid=83,devmode=664 0 0
(where 83 is the GID of the plugdev group) works on both the Slackware side and the VirtualBox side.
Hello guys,
i have the same problem with my usb webcam. I have Slackware13 64 and Virtualbox with Slakcware13 32 inside. I found as well that one must edit fstab. I did as Catkin advised but no luck. When i start Virtualbox it starts and the moment the lilo shows up the mouse and keyboard die. Then only reset button works
Btw i added myself to the groups of virtualbox and plugdev. I also enabled USB and added the usb devices in the settings for the VM.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Last edited by Domine; 11-11-2009 at 09:26 PM.
 
Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Domine
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Posts: 31

Rep: Reputation: 17
Hi again,
i solved the problem with the mouse and keyboard but i still cant use my webcam in virtualbox. That is strange though. Mouse and keyb are usb and are working why not the webcam?
I dont get it.

Please help!
 
Old 11-30-2009, 06:56 AM   #6
mrselfpwn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Location: South Carolina, US
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domine View Post
Hi again,
i solved the problem with the mouse and keyboard but i still cant use my webcam in virtualbox. That is strange though. Mouse and keyb are usb and are working why not the webcam?
I dont get it.

Please help!

How did you solve your problem? So someone else can know if they have the same issue.
 
Old 11-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
catkin
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Tamil Nadu, India
Distribution: Servers: Debian Squeeze and Wheezy. Desktop: Slackware64 14.0. Netbook: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 8,551
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domine View Post
Hi again,
i solved the problem with the mouse and keyboard but i still cant use my webcam in virtualbox. That is strange though. Mouse and keyb are usb and are working why not the webcam?
I dont get it.
The mouse and keyboard are USB devices but they should not be attached to the VM as USB devices or they would no longer work on the host. AFAIK VirtualBox "borrows" the host's mouse and keyboard when the virtual machine needs them and is thus able to use them regardless of how they are connected to the host -- USB, PS/2, serial ...

When you are running the virtual machine and attach the web cam, does it show when (not in full screen mode) you click on the window's Devices->"USB Devices"? If so you can select it there and it should be connected to the virtual machine; this you can test with the lsusb command.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USB flash drive works like a charm! wapcaplet LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories 3 07-10-2009 07:50 AM
USB Flash drive works great, BUT I can't unmount it?? Balarabay1 Linux - Hardware 6 11-20-2006 01:02 PM
How USB / Flash drive works in redhat 9 itstipu Linux - Hardware 5 08-08-2006 03:38 PM
Slackware on USB flash drive adds2one Slackware 5 03-19-2006 06:20 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration