SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I boot from a floppy disk with the "bare.i" kernel and the "install.1" and "install.2" disks. Into the setup menu I am able to select the target and the source. The source is on a mounted drive on my disk.
Step by step until I get problems:
- OK : selection of installation media - mounted partition
- OK : package series selection ("A Base Linux System" is found on my mounted drive)
- OK : would you like to go to the install section? - yes
- OK : select prompting mode - full
- ? : Installing all software packages - It seams like not working, because my hard drive doesn't make any sound.
- ? : Installation is done - But I don't find any new files on my hard disk. Allthough I can create files on the drive.
- OK : I try to use the kernel from the installation boot disk
- FAILURE : the attempt to format the floppy disk has failed, probably due to a bad media - that is not right, my disk is ok, I tried several.
Further I am not able to passwd and I got a "No free space" message a couple of times.
package series selection ("A Base Linux System" is found on my mounted drive)
When you choose source and this is the only package series that is listed it did not find the source correctly. I would suggest hitting cancel at that point and then selecting source again and see if it finds your source correctly(This happened to me on a couple installs - but with a CD).
Also, make sure that your source partition is mounted correctly(what filesystem are you using on that partition)?
thank you for your reply. I had only the A series package. So nothing else could be shown at the menu. But my / partition was to small (25MB) because I thought only the kernel will be installed there. Now I have 200 MB and I abandoned to the setup menu. I started directly with the pkgtool after I used cfdisk to partition my hard disk. Then I wrote the fstab and installed lilo.