LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2005, 10:25 AM   #1
koyi
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Osaka, Japan
Distribution: Arch, Ubuntu
Posts: 421

Rep: Reputation: 31
install 10.1 beta or wait?


I know the latest stable version is 10.0 and now 10.1 beta1 is out. So that means 10.1 official release is not far away. But I just reformatted my PC and need to install slack now. So is it better to install 10.0 first and upgrade to 10.1 when it is officially out, or just install 10.1 beta1 right away? I need your advices

What I am worrying is the way to upgrade to the official release when it is out. Is it as simple as installing the packages in patches/packages or is there anything I am missing?

Thanks.
 
Old 02-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
xushi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 1,288

Rep: Reputation: 45
best way to upgrade is with a utility like swaret or slap-get, just take care when you're upgradeing the kernel..

If you ask me, either go with the unoficial slackware current ISOs, or just wait a few days (a week..?) till 10.1 comes out.

As for stability, currently its stable as a rock.. well, tbh, always has been.

Edit: when upgrading from slack 10, you will notice some issues like the change between XFree86, and X11, and their xorg.conf configuration (keyboard -> kbd), etc..., but nothing to worry about. ALL has been discussed and asked before in here.
 
Old 02-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
AxelFendersson
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Darkest Oxfordshire
Distribution: Arch, Slackware
Posts: 184

Rep: Reputation: 30
If you need to reinstall now, your best bet is probably to grab an iso of -current, and then upgrade to the final release of 10.1 as you go. While upgrading from 10.0 probably won't be that much of a problem, upgrading from 10.1 beta will almost certainly be a lot easier.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mandrake 10 install stall..... proceeding, please wait hrt08 Linux - Newbie 7 01-16-2005 11:28 AM
FC3: Wait or Install FC2? spaaarky21 Fedora 2 09-07-2004 10:14 PM
Install FC1 now or wait for 2? tawalker Fedora 3 05-06-2004 04:24 AM
How can install Gnome 2.6 beta bluedarkness Linux - Newbie 2 03-26-2004 12:18 AM
Should I install 9.2 rc2 or 9.1 or wait for 9.2 final? koolkat Mandriva 7 09-25-2003 09:56 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration