LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
tawalker
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Distribution: Red Hat 9
Posts: 52

Rep: Reputation: 15
Install FC1 now or wait for 2?


I've just brought home a Viglen P3-550 I bought at a knock-down price from work (they've been upgrading the desktops), and plan to press it into service as a server for our home LAN. (To clarify, it's going to be a "headless" server rather than a desktop.)

Back in February I downloaded the ISOs for Fedora Core 1, and I could just go ahead install this on the new machine. However, at time of writing I think FC2 is due out in the next week or two; does anyone think it would be worth waiting for this?

Or should I install FC1 and upgrade it to 2 with apt-get or yum?

Thanks,
Tim
 
Old 05-05-2004, 04:14 PM   #2
Ed-MtnBiker
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Reno, NV
Distribution: Fedora Core 3
Posts: 88

Rep: Reputation: 15
Install FC1 now, work out all the kinks and oddities, don't worry about being aggressive, write good notes; and then next week when FC2 comes out, install fresh and use your notes.

Do both!
 
Old 05-05-2004, 04:16 PM   #3
ranger_nemo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: N'rn WI -- USA
Distribution: Kubuntu 8.04, ClarkConnect 4
Posts: 1,142

Rep: Reputation: 46
FC2 is s'posed to be released in less than two weeks. If you want to play around with the new box, you can install FC1.

If you want, you can re-install FC2 later. I would suggest a fresh install rather than upgrading from 1 to 2... the 2.6.x kernel is different enough.

Or, get FC2-T3... It's pretty close to final, and would be an easier upgrade to the final than FC1.
 
Old 05-06-2004, 04:24 AM   #4
tawalker
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Distribution: Red Hat 9
Posts: 52

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks for your thoughts - depending on what time I have, I may go with the "install FC1 - make notes - install FC2" plan (if I don't just take the plunge and try the pre-release version )

Much appreciated!

Tim
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FC1 Won't Install EricJ2190 Fedora - Installation 3 03-22-2005 04:38 PM
install 10.1 beta or wait? koyi Slackware 2 02-01-2005 04:04 PM
mandrake 10 install stall..... proceeding, please wait hrt08 Linux - Newbie 7 01-16-2005 11:28 AM
FC3: Wait or Install FC2? spaaarky21 Fedora 2 09-07-2004 10:14 PM
Should I install 9.2 rc2 or 9.1 or wait for 9.2 final? koolkat Mandriva 7 09-25-2003 09:56 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration