[SOLVED] Fonts Issue after Current Update on 20101114
SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I just upgraded my Current64 box, and now I got strange
Sans Serif fonts, Devaju Sans seems to be the same, if
I change it on the KDE settings. The really strange thing
is, I had run latest X.Org-Testing from Robby, so the font-
versions are equal. I run KDE 4.5.3, alienbob's build, and
Multilib current stage.
Thanks for any kind of infos. =)
Click here to see the post LQ members have rated as the most helpful post in this thread.
Distribution: Slackware 10 on i486/586/PentiumM; Solaris 2.8 on sparc; FreeBSD on i686
fontconfig broken with upgrade
It's amazing what an effect autohinting has: I thought fontconfig was completely ignoring my font choices but they just looked like crap.
Adding the following stanza to my ~/.fonts.conf file restored autohinting. I copied this from /etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-autohint.conf (I prefer to make aesthetic changes in my own directory rather than force them on everybody).
<!-- Use the Autohinter -->
<edit name="autohint" mode="assign"><bool>true</bool></edit>
I've just been working through some of the options in XFCE's appearance settings which is a good way to see which fonts look good with various settings of anti-alias, hinting, and sub-pixel order. Some of the fonts really don't do well with some of the combinations you can set.
I used to use DejaVu Sans as I've always liked the way it looks, but it seems to be missing a 'regular' style now and I can't get a decent display with it no matter what combination of settings I use.
Liberation Sans 10, anti-aliased, slight hinting, subpixel-none seems to be working reasonably for me at the moment. If I turn hinting up to medium or high, bold text looks better but normal text gets a little too thin for my liking.
Now, I just need to see if I can adjust the fonts/conf.d to use similar settings outside of XFCE.