SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
on the 64 bit build it is placing these directories in /usr/lib
after retesting again, it seems that this is the correct location for Cinnamon and cinnamon-control-center packages
Both are hardcoded to use this path, so i'm changing those two packages to /usr/lib, even on x86_64
I compiled binary packages for those who wanted to test Cinnamon without compiling them from source.
These binaries are compiled on a clean installation of Slackware 14.1 (32/64) with the latest update from official repository
I hit a snag building cinnamon in multilib installation. Naturally I updated everything before starting.
Everything went well until I got to gst1-plugins-good. Seemed it was trying to link against the 32 bit gobject-2.0. Here is the error.
make: Entering directory `/tmp/csb/gst-plugins-good-1.2.3/ext/wavpack'
/usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [libgstwavpack.la] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/csb/gst-plugins-good-1.2.3/ext/wavpack'
make: *** [wavpack] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/csb/gst-plugins-good-1.2.3/ext'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/csb/gst-plugins-good-1.2.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2
I could have probably worked around it but it wouldn't be reproducible so instead I downloaded the pre-built package for gst1-plugins-good and installed it then carried on with my build. Cinnamon so far is running just fine. Of course with the added complexity of multilib I can't say if it has or hasn't affected other stuff for some days to come - hopefully all is well.
Cinnamon 2.2.0 has just been released, but i'm afraid it will not be part of my CSB since it requires new GTK+3-3.10 which is not yet available in Slackware 14.1.
For those who are curious and wanted to see the changes in Cinnamon 2.2.0 and willing to risk of upgrading their GTK+3 library by themselves, i have pushed a separate branch for that: 2.2.0 in the github repo
Cinnamon 2.2.0 requires a new package: cinnamon-menus which should be fine to be installed together with gnome-menus