LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-03-2003, 05:44 AM   #1
awtoc123

Distribution: Suse 10

Rep: Reputation: 30
Chinese Input In Mdk 9.1

Can anybody help me here I have installed everything for Chinese input support, but still I can not see the Chinese Input manager nor can I get the Chinese Input system to work..

The old Dynasoft ( YCBX ) worked 100% in MDK 9.0 KDE 3.0

Now I have a good platform in English and have to use Windoze for Chinese input ohhhhhh Please help.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:46 AM   #2
Jiawen

Distribution: Mandriva -> Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 15
Have you tried the region and language settings? I was having similar problems with Mandrake 9.1 until I set the region to 'Taiwan'. Then, in order to do Chinese input, start XCin and hit ctrl+space. Does that work?

Old 09-12-2003, 01:16 AM   #3
awtoc123

Original Poster
Hi and thanks, well I want simplified chinese input from the English desktop, that is the problem, but even so I can not get the pinyin system to work at all, so I give up and wait to see what MDK 9.2 has to offer, in the meantime for the Chiense we are using Windows2K.

Old 09-17-2003, 02:30 PM   #4
Jiawen

Distribution: Mandriva -> Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 15
I'm still looking for solutions to my problem (Big5 input under RXvt or other Telnet client), but I found something that might be of use to you: <http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Ch...edu.tw&rnum=41>

Maybe not, but it seems like it might be helpful.

Old 09-17-2003, 02:34 PM   #5
awtoc123

Original Poster
I think I have tried everything so I give up , and wait to see if MDK 9.2 is better, but many thanks for your suggestions

Old 09-17-2003, 09:13 PM   #6
quatsch
LQ Addict

Distribution: gentoo, gentooPPC

Rep: Reputation: 48
Have you looked at your
/etc/sysconfig/i18n
and
~/.i18n (you might not have this in which case the settings in /etc/sysconfig/i18n take over)

Mandrake seems to have decided that for a lot of languages utf-8 will be the default which does not sit well with a lot of things. You should try changing the settings - you can find possible settings by looking at /usr/share/locale: there should be several locales beginning with ch. One of them will probably work.

Old 09-17-2003, 10:12 PM   #7
awtoc123

Original Poster
I have also tried this and everything looks fine to me, I know lost of people in China all with the same problem, and also can not get it going in MDK 9.1 - In MDK 9.0 I had no problem getting the Chinese input system to work, it was not very good, but it worked, but in MDK 9.1 I don't know anybody who got it working, I also know that there is some problems with the Chinese language files in MDK 9.1
Thanks

Old 09-18-2003, 05:04 PM   #8
JDW

Distribution: Ubuntu 6.10, Slackware 11.0

I have Simplified Chinese input in Mandrake 9.1 working fine, using fcitx (www.fcitx.org ) as the input application. Chinput works as well, but is not as "modern" looking as fcitx,nor as easy to set up for dummies such as myself...

For an English speaker such as myself who wants a dedicated English sytem, but with Chinese input readily available for Mozilla, Koffice, OpenOffice, Evolution, Kmail etc. the following method works really well...

1) Download and install fcitx. Make sure you have Chinese locales and fonts etc. installed - this should have been done at install time, the Mandrake installer is pretty good...

2) Create user specifically to have the Chinese locale environment on hand.

3) In the ~/.bashrc file of this new user, add the following lines to establish the Chinese locale environment every time you launch this user:

export LANG=zh_CN
export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN
export LC_ALL=zh_CN
export XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx

4) When you want to type something in Chinese, but you are in your default English environment, no need to log out, just launch Konsole or some other terminal of choice, and type in :

enguser $ su chinuser
enter password <type in your password>
chinuser $ fcitx & kword [or whatever other app you want to type into]

Make sure the font in the client app (e.g. kword) is set to one of the Simp Chinese fonts...

And away you go!

John

Old 09-18-2003, 10:42 PM   #9
awtoc123

Original Poster
Hi I also have it working with fcitx but it is no a Linux or Mandrake software, it works fine, but is a little complicated to start as you say above, why can Linux not do it as easy as Windoze2K or XP If you installed Windoze2K or XP in English you can use the Chinese input with just one tuch of the Ctrl + Space and bingo you have Chinese input or click on the icon in the taskbar very simple, I just tried MDK 9.2 same problem, if the Chinese is there it is to complicated to get it to work the development team does not thing about 1.3 Billion Chinese who are in the virgin stage on computers, Remember Oncel Bill what he did he brain washed the yong gave them windows in the schools, and made it easy for the end user to use, and that is how he succeded to capture the market, but if Linux make is so difficult to install Chinese input support they will never get anywhere near Microsoft, the Chinese are not like us who tries and tries until we get it right they give up very easy..

I'm not getting at you JDW, I know yo uare trying you best to help, and you did so as I did not know fcitx , and now I have Chinese Input working - THANK...

Old 09-18-2003, 11:06 PM   #10
quatsch
LQ Addict

Quote:
export LANG=zh_CN
export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN
export LC_ALL=zh_CN
export XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx
is it necessary to do all this? I'm asking because it could be that the only things really necessary are
LC_CTYPE=zh_CN
XMODIFIERS=@im=fcix
(it's this way for japanese input even though most manuals say you need to set LANG and LC_ALL as well).
If so, you can copy your /etc/sysconfig/i18n to ~/.i18n and then make the appropriate changes by adding/changing a few lines. No need to go full blown chinese. If it doesn't suffice you an still make the other changes and see what the effects are.
Then place a script in ~/.kde/Autostart that looks like this

#!/bin/bash
fcitx &

make sure the script is executable. After this, fcitx will be running in the background whenever you start kde.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:18 PM   #11
JDW

Chinese input

Thanks for that...you're probably right, I will try running my English environment with LC_CTYPE as zh_CN and see if that works with browsing, text input etc. As you say, most manuals, posts etc. say to put all those lines in the file, hence the requirement that you have Chinese set up in its own user environment...but this sounds better already!

Cheers!

John

Old 09-18-2003, 11:32 PM   #12
quatsch
LQ Addict

I hope it works. BTW, for japanese input, I noticed that mozilla for some reason needs LC_MESSAGES=ja_JP for the japanese input to work inside mozilla (it's the one exception that I found so far). For this I start mozilla with
env LC_MESSAGES=ja_JP mozilla
I also made the appropriate changes in the menu entries. You might have to do something similar. The env command is very useful if you want to set env variables for specific applications.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:20 AM   #13
awtoc123

Original Poster
Back again, I have just made a fresh clean install ( except for /home ) of mdk 9.2 power pack , I ticked the following:

1 ) minichninput
2 ) locales_zh-bg2312
3 ) mainpages_zh
4 ) kdei18n

I can not even see the Chinese in Country & Region - Only The English

Anybody with some ideas ?

So what are I doing wrong ?

Old 10-23-2003, 12:36 AM   #14
JDW

Chinese input in MDK

Hi,

Probably too simple a question, but at the beginning of the install procedure did you highlight Simplified Chinese as an extra language?

That would automatically install all the fonts, locales, input software etc. by default...

jdw

Old 10-23-2003, 12:40 AM   #15
awtoc123

Original Poster
Hi and thanks for your reply.

Highlight Simplified Chinese ?
Where does mdk 9.2 ask for this ?

If it is as easy as this I will re-install again.