LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2003, 10:14 PM   #1
Rav

Distribution: Slackware 10.0

Rep: Reputation: 15
Mandrake 9.1 Install - Blank Screen

Hi everyone,

My systems boots from the CD fine. I am then presented with the first screen, and I choose ENTER to start the installation. At that point the screen goes black, the lights on my keyboard start flashing, and nothing happens.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the cd's I burned. They were created straight from the downloadable iso's using the latest version of Nero. I've checked them too. All the directories that should be there are there, and so are all the files.

Here are my system specs;

GA-8SQ800 Ultra Mobo (SiS 655/963 chipset)
- I'm using the standard IDE ports on this board atm
P4 2.4b
Radeon 9700 Pro
Soundblaster Live 5.1

I currently have no other peripheral cards in my system.

I've had a quick look around hoping to find that this is a known problem and not something more sinister specifically related to my particular configuration, but it appears that it might be.

All the same, any ideas or advice will be appreciated. Thanks

EDIT: Text mode installation works but I really can't be bothered in this day and age.

Last edited by Rav; 04-27-2003 at 11:58 PM.

Old 04-28-2003, 12:12 AM   #2
Rav

Distribution: Slackware 10.0

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Ok, I've found some information over at the Mandrake Club about this, and it seems that the problem is related to the fact that I have 1GB of RAM in my system. It only seems to be happening to people with that hardware configuration (and the symptoms are identical to mine right down to the flashing keyboard lights).

I really wouldn't mind taking one of my 512 MB sticks out because I don't really NEED the extra RAM. What I would miss is the extra performance since I am running the 2 sticks in dual-ddr mode.

Here's the link to the thread over at Mandrake Club incase anyone is interested.

http://www.mandrakeclub.com/modules....c=6007&forum=9

There are a number of solutions, but none of them are ideal. This might even sway me in the direction of trying out a different distro.

Still, if anyone here has anything to add, please do so!

Thanks