LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2003, 04:52 PM   #1
Comreak

Distribution: Ubuntu 5.04

Rep: Reputation: 15
Wine and War Craft 3

I've been able to get half-life working with linux and now I'd like to get WC3 working.

System Info:
Mandrake 9.0
Latest Nvidia drivers installed/working (1.0-4191 currently)
Latest creative drivers installed/working from opensource.creative.com
Wine version 20030115 installed/configured (working with half-life at the moment)

Heres what I did and what errors popped up:

1)mount the wc3 disc.
2)cd to the mounted disk
3)type "wine install.exe"
4)The debugger pops up and gives the following error (heres a small chunk)

No debug information in 32bit DLL 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSACM.DRV' (0x415d0000) No debug information in 32bit DLL 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MIDIMAP.DRV' (0x41720000) Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000006 in 32-bit code (0x0041e7ca). In 32-bit mode. 0x0041e7ca (install.exe.EntryPoint+0x11cb in D:\install.exe): movl 0x0(%ebx),%esi
No debug information in 32bit DLL 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MIDIMAP.DRV' (0x41720000) Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000006 in 32-bit code (0x0041e7ca). In 32-bit mode. 0x0041e7ca (install.exe.EntryPoint+0x11cb in D:\install.exe): movl 0x0(%ebx),%esi Wine-dbg>
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000006 in 32-bit code (0x0041e7ca). In 32-bit mode. 0x0041e7ca (install.exe.EntryPoint+0x11cb in D:\install.exe): movl 0x0(%ebx),%esi

I haven't a clue what this means. I've checked out the various howto and guides on how to get wc3 working with wine; they either don't pertain to my situation or haven't gotten it working. I don't have the money to pay for WineX either (poor college student). Plain old wine should be good enough for this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-19-2003, 05:35 PM   #2
Comreak

Original Poster
What? Do you people only answer the easy questions? Am i to assume that I am the only one who has ever had this problem before? If linux is so great, why am I always fixing problems? I've had linux for about 2 weeks (a record for me) and I haven't gone nuts yet. I've spent the entire time getting it up to the level of usability I'm use to with windows xp. Two weeks! It reminds me of my old windows 95 days (took about the same amount of time to get everything working). Oh well, linux won't be free forever. I've heard the distributors are having financial problems. Who could blame them when their customers don't have to pay for anything (shipping maybe). I'm not trying to knock linux users, I admire those who can stick with it. But enough is enough. . .

Last edited by Comreak; 01-19-2003 at 05:38 PM.

Old 01-19-2003, 08:26 PM   #3
marsonist

Distribution: SuSE 9.1 Pro

Rep: Reputation: 30
Well, posts like your last one aren't really going to create too much sympathy for your cause. I'm sure if someone else has had this problem they would have responded. My question for you is, have you tried looking at the winehq.com website. They have extensive forums and faqs for problems just like yours. I found this forum in about 20 seconds.

I wish you luck with linux. It's not drop dead easy to pick up, but if you hang on with it you'll be chugging along like a pro. LinuxQuestions.org will help you out with 90% of the problems you might encounter, but please don't take the knowledge of the users of this site as a right you are given. People will help you when they can and when they want to. A post like your last is likely to get you ignored.... Just for future reference.

Again, I wish you much luck with Warcraft, and Linux

Steve

Old 01-19-2003, 08:28 PM   #4
jdc2048

Distribution: Redhat, Gentoo, Solaris, HP-UX, etc...

First of all, you ask a question on a sunday evening and then complain when you dont' get an answer within 30 minutes?

You have just alienated yourself and driven away the majority of those who could have helped you.

Give it some time, preferably till tommorrow when the rest of the world logs on to their computers.

On a side note, it doesn't matter if the major distros are having financial troubles.
(SuSe||Mandrake||RedHat != Linux)
(Linus Torvalds && GPL == Linux)

Old 01-19-2003, 08:36 PM   #5
sammyballz

Distribution: mandrake 9

im not even going to bother now..

Old 01-19-2003, 10:19 PM   #6
Comreak

Original Poster
That last post was me venting my anger torwards the situation. I've had problems with linux every step of the way. Don't take anything I said personally. I did check out winehq, did google searches, checked linuxnewbie.com.

Anyway, I didn't now you could download winex by cvs. I trying it out right now. Sorry about that last post again.

Old 01-19-2003, 10:27 PM   #7
marsonist

We've all been there. WineX kicks @ss. If you're even thinking of staying with linux, the $15 dollars 3 month minimum subscription is unbeatable. I subscribed 1 1/2 months ago, and I don't think that I could have made a better investment. Don't judge WineX entirely from the CVS, as I've heard it's not entirely reliable. The subscription version on the other hand I have found to be rock solid. Warcraft III installs and plays exactly as it does under windows.

Old 01-20-2003, 01:00 AM   #8
jdc2048

Quote:
Originally posted by marsonist
The subscription version on the other hand I have found to be rock solid. Warcraft III installs and plays exactly as it does under windows.
If thats true, then I am going to subscribe first chance I get. I have the CVS version compiled and it runs StarCraft with some choppy sound problems. UT runs perfectly under winex. I wish there were more companies programming for linux. I would pay 45-50 USD for a game (like soldier of fortune II or battlefield 1942) if it was written for linux.

Old 01-20-2003, 05:36 AM   #9
Comreak

Original Poster
I think it's already happening. Look at UT2003. Sure, it was sort of an after thought for Epic but they did it. More and more companies are starting to make linux versions of their games.

If they do though, I think there should be only one version of the cd, if you know what I mean. No having to buy a seperate version for linux if you own the windows version. It's still the same game right?

Old 01-20-2003, 08:12 AM   #10
Hegemon

Distribution: Gentoo

Why run UT under WineX when there is a propper version for linux?
Also you don't need to pay a subscription fee as there is a free CVS version =)
Not only is there UT2003 but Doom3 is also getting support apparently.

Old 01-20-2003, 10:24 AM   #11
marsonist

The CVS version is certainly free, but there is a reason. The CVS version is for testing and development. Games that might usually run fine might not even install.

Not to mention the fact that we don't need another great linux company heading the way of mandrake.

Old 01-20-2003, 06:29 PM   #12
jdc2048

I had a copy of UT for linux before, but I had really crappy performance under redhat 7.0 and wound up trashing it. I have found that UT runs beautifully on winex (CVS version under RH8) from the windows installed version of UT on my Win2k partition.

I know you can get winex for free, what I was stating is that I am willing to pony up $15 for a premium copy that has some support as well.

I also realize that UT2003 and DOOM3 are being sold for Linux, but this is because some open-source hackers did the work for them. I don't see a whole lot of companies hiring linux programmers to port their games to linux currently.

I think that it is time for all major game companies (EA, Epic, Sierra, etc...) start making linux versions of their games. I think most of them are under the _false_ impression that they have to give away the source code in order to do this.

Old 01-20-2003, 06:36 PM   #13
Comreak

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by Hegemon

. . .but Doom3 is also getting support apparently.
Whaaa?! Wow, that pretty awesome. I was kinda thinking about that the other day while playing ut2003. Glad to hear it's getting support.

Quote:
Originally posted by jdc2048

I think that it is time for all major game companies (EA, Epic, Sierra, etc...) start making linux versions of their games. I think most of them are under the _false_ impression that they have to give away the source code in order to do this.
I think it has more to do with the fact that they don't want to spend the time/money on a port for linux that probably won't get them a whole lot of money.

Last edited by Comreak; 01-20-2003 at 06:43 PM.

Old 01-20-2003, 07:12 PM   #14
marsonist

It has to be admitted that Linux junkies are typically tight with the purse strings. Looking at Mandrake or Loki will only prove my point. I think a good start would be game manufacturers making deals with the transgaming crew to either include a stripped down version of wineX with games, or to get standard wineX to work completely with titles.

I think it was loki who said that all of their games sales combined were less than half than the totals sales of one average computer game.

It seems, however, that publishers are recognizing the linux factor and starting to include installers with the windows version. The only thing we can do now is start to support (read: $$$) those who are attempting to support us

Last edited by marsonist; 01-20-2003 at 09:34 PM.

Old 01-21-2003, 01:36 AM   #15
jdc2048

But my argument is that they don't have to *GIVE* away the games. Loki games was giving away the games as far as I remember. (I only downloaded the stuff to get UT working, I had purchased the game for Windows already).

All I am saying is that I think that EA could only see more profit if it began porting its code to linux && windows. Again, this hinges on the understanding that they don't have to *_GIVE_* away the game just because Linux is free.

Heck, I am probably going to go buy a copy of Mandrake Professional 9 in the next few months just because I want to have a boxed set available. I see it as a necessity in order to ensure that these companies continue to bring more market share away from M$.