LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories
User Name
Password
LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories Just spent four hours configuring your favorite program? Just figured out a Linux problem that has been stumping you for months?
Post your Linux Success Stories here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
linux_or_bust

Distribution: Vectorlinux SOHO 5.1.1, Slackware 11

Rep: Reputation: 15
How I got my sound card working

I have a IBM 600e TP, with the Cirrus Crystalclear Soundfusion audio card installed. When I installed Mandrake 10.1 CE, the sound card did not work, although it was found in the hardware detection. I found out, through an enormous amout of searching on Google, that the card is incorrectly identified by Linux as CS4610. The correct driver is snd-cs4236. The instructions I found were not very clear, and did not help very much, so this is how I got it working...

1. Disabled Quick Boot in the BIOS
2. Installed ALSAMIXER, and ALSA in RPM installer
3. Opened the console, signed in as root, and used alsaconf
4. Alsaconf then found the card, and probed the snd-cs4236 driver (the correct one)
5. Opened MCC, went into Services, and made sure alsa was running
6. I then opened KMIX and adjusted the volume

I then had sound. A lot of posts advise using sndconfig, but everytime I used it, it showed an unknown card, and would then exit, it was no help.

As I recall, I had to use alsaconf a couple of times before the card was found, it kept saying "no legacy cards found". I would restart, and finally it would probe the driver. Also, I did not use the hardware detection to install the driver, I tried doing that, but it would not work.

Hope this helps, this is the way I did it, have fun!

Old 12-02-2004, 08:25 PM   #2
J.W.
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 87
Moved: This thread is more suitable in Success Stories and has been moved accordingly to help your thread/question get the exposure it deserves.

Congrats on solving the problem and thanks for posting back with the solution. Given that you conquered this issue, and that your post isn't really a question, it seems better suited for the Success Stories forum. Thanks again -- J.W.