LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
coot_jg
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Wher's harddrake under 2007?

My new 2007 doesn't make it obvious - From KDE, I can get to kinfo(sp?) to see some mounted drives, but I am too inflexible to find the old harddrake, so that I can see other partitions and unformatted areas on my drives. How do I get there (or to a functional analog) from the KDE screen?
In addition, I need to add some source from the distro - how would I get to the package update? The one from the action pulldown only supports a limited set - altho I hope that I'm wrong there, too.

I'd like to RTFM, but have no idea where to find it.
(If I missed it, I will be happily hamaa, and send myself to my room without dinner.)

Thanx in advance;

Coot.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:12 AM   #2
ernie

Distribution: Mageia 1

Rep: Reputation: 70
To get to Harddrake:

MCC is the Mandriva Linux Control Center (System > Configuration > Configure your computer in the file system).

Open MCC. The root password will be required.

Select Mount Points in the category list (left).

Open the Create, delete and resize hard disk partitions icon (main pain). You have accessed harddrake.

To get to the Mandriva Package Manager:

The Mandriva Package Manager can be accessed in MCC or from the menu system (System > Configuration > Packaging > Install, Remove, and Update Software in the menu system).

Open MCC. The root password will be required.

Select Software Management in the category list (left - usually preselected when MCC loads).

The four Software Management functions can be accessed from this screen - Install, Remove, or Update Software and you can Manage your Software Media Sources (Repositories).

If you are new to Mandriva Linux, you have probably not set up a full set of Internet Software Media Sources for use by the Mandriva Package Manager. The full range of software packaged for use with Mandriva Linux is too large to fit on a DVD, so Mandriva has set up ftp mirrors across the WEB. Each mirror contains the full set of Software Repositories (the Internet Software Media Sources). You must configure the Mandriva Package Manager to use these Sources. It is not a difficult thing to do. I have written an article on my LQ Blog to help others complete this task.

To get to the Mandriva Documentation:

If you have installed the Mandriva Documentation packages, you will find the documentation under More Applications > Documentation in the menu system.

HTH,

Old 05-17-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
coot_jg
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
That, it seems, is the problem - 2007 takes you to "kcontrol", rather than "mcc" - and kcontrol doesn't give the access to unallocated/undefined disk space that harddrake does. Since kcontrol doesn't give you the option of changing to "root", you have to start KDE from a root command prompt - but that's another story.
In trying to move from my archaic command line mode to the new, improved (smirk, smirk, smirk) GUI mode, how would I add an "mcc" option to the "system>configure>???" submenu that will let me invoke mcc? Better - where is there an (rt)FM that I can read to jump-start my KDE skills?

Old 05-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
ernie

Distribution: Mageia 1

Rep: Reputation: 70
Quote:
My new 2007 doesn't make it obvious - From KDE, I can get to kinfo(sp?) to see some mounted drives, but I am too inflexible to find the old harddrake, so that I can see other partitions and unformatted areas on my drives.
My apologies. I misunderstood you to indicate you were working from the KDE desktop environment, so I provided direction appropriate to that scenario.

To run MCC (the Mandrake Control Center) from either a console screen (for the ncurses menu) or a terminal window (for the graphical display), use the following command:
Code:
/usr/sbin/drakconf
Your root password will be required.

If all you want to do is run Harddrake, in a console screen (for ncurses menu list) or a terminal window (for graphical display) use this command:
Code:
/usr/sbin/diskdrake
Your root password will be requird.

HTH,