LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2004, 09:43 AM   #1
SirOracle
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Switch workspace by moving the mouse pointer

Hi
I used Linux several years ago, but have mostly been working in the Windows-world the last years. But now Im looking into Linux again. I downloaded and installed Fedora Core 2 and it works fine. But I miss the ability to switch workspaces by just dragging a window or just the mouse pointer to the edge of the screen. How do I enable that i Fedora Core 2?

If I right-click on the workspace-switcher and click Preferences I can only configure the number of available workspaces and rows and the name of the individual workspaces.

Old 12-19-2004, 11:46 AM   #2
jonr

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
You didn't state what window-manager or desktop environment you're using, but IceWM allows workspace switching by the means you want. In fact, that's the main reason I keep coming back to IceWM after experimenting with other WM's.

Old 12-19-2004, 12:14 PM   #3
SirOracle
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Im not sure what window-manager I use, but its a standard FC2-installation with Gnome, and if I have understood this correctly, Gnome is not a window-manager. How do I find out what window-manager I use? Could it be that I have to switch to Icevm for this to work?

Old 12-19-2004, 12:23 PM   #4
jonr

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
If you feel comfortable looking at system files, look at the file called .xinitrc or .xsession in your home directory (probably .xsession). The last line may be one that loads a window manager, in which case you'll see what its name is.

The Gnome desktop environment doesn't need a supplementary window manager, and there may be a way to switch workspaces using the mouse-to-screen-edge method in Gnome, but when I used the Gnome desktop I didn't have that feature.

You can use a window manager in addition to the Gnome desktop to accomplish things that are not part of the Gnome package, or you can use a window manager INSTEAD of the Gnome desktop, which is what I decided I liked to do after about a month or two using Linux.

You can probably search the forums here and find useful tips on how to do it either way.

Old 12-20-2004, 05:36 AM   #5
zvonSully

Distribution: Debian maniak(apt-get upgrade)

Rep: Reputation: 15
In kde open kde control center go to Desktop -> Window Behavior and check Active Desktop Borders .