LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2004, 12:30 PM   #1
_RA_

Distribution: Fedora Core 1/2

Rep: Reputation: 15
Modem set up??

im not shure if this goes in the hardware section or not but it deals with a modem move it if you wnat and if its in the wrong section im sorry

i just got a new hardware modem it works perfectly in winodows but when i gt in to linux i get "modem is busy" when every i try to connect

the card is a USR i evey got the linux drivers for it from the USR web page

please tell me whats wrong

oh and if you need to know this i did up date the firmware

Old 05-01-2004, 03:44 PM   #2
_RA_

Original Poster
can some one help me with this?

Old 05-01-2004, 04:46 PM   #3
bvanemon
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSE 8.2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Exclamation in reply

I'm using SuSE 8.2 and went through what you are asking, KDE would see it but wouldn't dial. After 2 other hardware modems, I broke down and just bought a serial modem and it runs fine. This may not answer your question but it a been there done that type of thing. I'm no linux wizard but follow the post here fairly often
Brian

Old 05-01-2004, 05:44 PM   #4
_RA_

Original Poster
thanks but i still have hope in my modem (sence i just spent $40 on it.)

USR has drivers for it but think they are for an older kernal so i will try a distro with an older kernal, 2.4 meaby

Last edited by _RA_; 05-01-2004 at 05:57 PM.

Old 05-01-2004, 05:52 PM   #5
tricky_linux

Distribution: Red Hat Linux 9.0; Old and Solid

Rep: Reputation: 30
which distro of linux are you using?
i assume redhat, cause i use redhat's
if you download the driver's source. you could recompile it against your current kernel.
did you install the driver you downloaded?
please give more detail, such as where did you get the driver and please post the output of both "lspci -v" and "dmesg"

Old 05-01-2004, 06:51 PM   #6
_RA_

Original Poster
i am using Mandrake 10 and i downloaded the driver from the USR home page. it was listed there with all the windows drivers for my modem.

also lspci -v shows nothing infact it says "comand not found"

now i catn even get the modemo t connect in widows (it makes a bunch of weird noises when dialing)

also the other comad you asked for output ALOT of info more than i could ever manage to et over on y laptop. i think i have to re instal windows on that computer then meaby i can show you the out put of that

i also tryed another distro (knoppix) and it dosent seem to work with the modem eather i think its the firmware on it i sent USR an email asking how i oculd downgrade the firmware so i can use it with linux.

i think there comand center app is very buggy and screwed everything up.

Last edited by _RA_; 05-01-2004 at 09:06 PM.

Old 05-01-2004, 11:04 PM   #7
_RA_

Original Poster
fixed the windows problem but i think the problem lays in the fact that i updated the firmware to support v.92 jsut before installing Mandrake.

i sent an email to the USR support asking how to downgrade my firmware i expect to get a reply by monday at that point i will folow their instucions and report back on how everything is working out

acording to one other post i have read here the modem will not work once the firmware is updated. so i am asking how to downgrade it. seems simple jsut requires me to flash it with the older firmware.

Old 05-02-2004, 12:20 PM   #8
tricky_linux

Distribution: Red Hat Linux 9.0; Old and Solid

Rep: Reputation: 30
wait a minute here...
lower down!!!!
do you know what are you doing? or you just messing up your modem completely?
you don't have to downgrade your firmware to get your modem working!!
Did you even install the driver for your modem yet?
how you know is a linux driver instead of window ones?
you have to run those two command as root, type "su -" in your terminal to login as root. then use "lspci -v"
you could just copy and past the text.

Old 05-02-2004, 03:44 PM   #9
_RA_

Original Poster
1. im not shure if i have to dwongrade the firmware to make it work but it should work without a driver (that is with the olcer firmware)

2. i know its a linux driver becuse its a RPM and well USR said it was for linux

3. yes i installed he driver

4. ill run them as root and ill se if i can copy the contence over.

Old 05-03-2004, 06:24 AM   #10
sys-fire
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian and Slackware

Modem set-up in Linux can be frustrating. I assume you checked the hardware compatibility list before purchasing your new modem.

If the modem works in windows, note the com port that it is using; ex com1 com2 etc.

Set the modem to the corresponding port in Linux:

com1 /dev/ttyS0
com2 /dev/ttyS1
com3 /dev/ttyS2
com4 /dev/ttyS3
com5 /dev/ttyS4

PCI modems usually use com5.

Make sure PPP is installed in the kernel. You can do 'lsmod' as root. Another useful command is 'lspci' . For help with these use your manual pages....ex. man lsmod.

Next I recommend installing your ISP settings with kppp. Open a terminal and type 'kppp'; if it is installed a window will open where you can enter ISP and modem settings. Good luck!

Old 05-03-2004, 03:49 PM   #11
hta1984
LQ Newbie

Distribution: suse

i have a modem problem too

hi guys.i installed mandrake 9.2 last week.but i cannot connect to internet.
my modem is "creative modem blster pci v90 di5797". it is on the com3 port.
i use tty2 in linux modem setup.and it is a hsf modem.i don't know its chipset(subvendor is broadxent).(i downloaded a conexant driver from linuxant.com,i run the rpm file,but nothing changed).please help me.thank you all.

Old 05-03-2004, 04:08 PM   #12
_RA_

Original Poster
i just got a reply back from USR and they gave me instructions for geting my modem to work

ill post them below

Dear ####,

Thank you for choosing U.S. Robotics.

U.S. Robotics supports the 5610A and 5610B modem under linux kernel 2.3.5 and above. If you have an older kernel, you may need to upgrade it for the modem to work properly. You may view your kernel version with the "uname -a" command.

To configure the modem in linux, perform the following:

Turn off the computer. Insert the modem into a pci slot. If your system has an agp slot, choose any pci slot except the one closest to the agp slot. The pci slot closest to the agp slot shares resources with the agp slot and this may cause difficulty.

Restart the computer and login as root. You can verify that you are currently root with the command 'whoami'.

Open up a terminal window and type the following commands, excluding the apostrophes:

'which setserial'
This will verify that you have the setserial command. If it gives file not found instead of a path (like /usr/bin/setserial), then this program is not installed on your system. You will need to either install setserial, or configure the modem using a custom hardware configuration program that ships with your distribution (like harddrake in Mandrake Linux).

'rm /dev/modem'
This will remove any previous modem devices.

'cd /proc'
To change to the /proc directory.

'cat pci'
This will display a list of all pci devices detected. Search for a "Serial Controller" section. Record the values you seen under the "Serial Controller" section for both the irq (ex. "9") and the I/O information (ex. "0xfff0") If the "Serial Controller" section is not here, try shutting the system off and reseating the modem. Also make sure that your system's bios has plug and play features turned on.

'setserial /dev/ttyS*'
This should list the active serial ports on your system. This command, and the commands that follows are case sensitive, so make sure to capitalize S in ttyS1. Check to see if one of these ports match the values you found in the 'cat pci' command. If so, skip to the ln command. If not, run the following command:

'setserial /dev/ttyS5 irq # port 0x#### autoconfig'
If /dev/ttyS5 already exits, choose a different ttyS* port that does not, like /dev/ttyS6.
The number "#" after irq is the value you found under the "Serial Controller" section of 'cat pci'. The port information is also found under the I/O section "Serial Controller". Make sure that there are no spaces in the port values, example: "port 0xfff0 autoconfig" or, in more detail "port<space>0xfff0<space>autoconfig". A complete example of this command would be:
'setserial /dev/ttyS5 irq 9 port 0xfff0 autoconfig'
If the above command gives you an error about not being able to create the file, or file not found, try running the following and then repeat the above command:
'mknod -m 666 /dev/ttyS5 c 4 64'

'ln -s /dev/ttyS# /dev/modem'
where the ttyS# is the either the serial port that matches the modem's setting that you found in 'cat pci', or the new ttyS5 that you have created. ex: 'ln -s /dev/ttyS5 /dev/modem'

Then test your modem through a modem application, such as minicom or kppp.

Newer versions of setserial should save these settings so it works upon reboot. If yours does not, consider updating setserial, or look at the following link for further information: http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO-10.html

I would like to thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Should you require further assistance with your U.S. Robotics product, please feel free to contact us again.

Again, thank you for choosing U.S. Robotics.

If you need to reply to this message for more information or to answer any questions we might have asked you, please click on Reply and include all previous correspondence. This allows us to track your issue more efficiently and to resolve your issue more quickly.

Your feedback is important to us. Please visit our web site at
http://www.usr.com/feedback in order to rate your support experience.

Sincerely,
Mark

Old 05-03-2004, 04:09 PM   #13
_RA_

Original Poster
and for kppp i have used it before and i understand the com ports infact i remember finding it under windows.

thanks guys

Old 05-03-2004, 05:06 PM   #14
_RA_

Original Poster
the modem works i filowed the usr instructions and i can dileup but it fails at the starting pppd/login on to network

i think this has to do with a ppp configuration thing but im not shure any one have a solution?

Old 05-03-2004, 07:51 PM   #15
_RA_

Original Poster
well i got online the kppp problem was becsue i A. had the wrong password and B. was loged in as root

also i am wondering why i have to type "rm /dev/modem" and "ln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem" everytime i want to use the net is there a way i can make it so i dont have to do that or i can meaby click something that will run that then start kppp?

thanks guys I love linux now that i can get online.