LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2004, 10:45 AM   #1
rm6990

Distribution: SUSE 9.1 Pro and Debian Testing on Server

Rep: Reputation: 30
Very odd sound problem in Fedora Core 3

Hi. I like using Fedora, but it never ceases to amaze me the weird things I have to sort out with each release. OK, here goes.

When I run the soundcard detection program, it lists these details

Vendor : Esoniq (This should be Creative Labs but oh well)
Model : ES1370 [audiopci]
Module : snd-ens1370

When I click Play Test Sound, it works all fine and dandy. But, the volume control at the top in Gnome refuses to let me raise the volume and when I right click on it and click Open Volume Control, this is what it says

Sorry, no mixer elements and/or devices can be found.

This completely baffles me....I know damn well the card is supported, I used it in SUSE. Plus the thing can play it in Fedora when I go into soundcard detection.

Also, has anyone else had trouble creating desktop icons in Fedora 3? It is definately not a Gnome problem, I did fine in Ubuntu with Gnome 2.8. It won't let me add them.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:57 AM   #2
kevinatkins

Distribution: Ubuntu Hoary

Rep: Reputation: 33
Hi,

I'm not hugely familiar with Gnome, but I believe it uses the Esound sound server daemon. Check that esd is running; without it, I don't think the Gnome mixer or volume control will work..

Old 11-29-2004, 11:05 AM   #3
rm6990

Original Poster
Yeah, it's running, and I tried playing an MP3 and it worked!! Erg...So I have sound, just can't change the volume...perfect. A couple people asked me if I had had this problem at another site, don't think they ever fixed it. If more than one person gets this problem, wouldn't it be smart for Red Hat to iron out these kinds of bugs BEFORE releasing the product?

Old 11-29-2004, 11:11 AM   #4
kevinatkins

Distribution: Ubuntu Hoary

Rep: Reputation: 33
How strange... oh well, at least you've got sound..

And I think, in fairness to Red Hat, Fedora is very much the development branch of things, so I s'pose the odd glitch here and there is to be forgiven. Still annoying though!

Old 11-29-2004, 11:32 AM   #5
rm6990

Original Poster
Kmix Anyone??? Gamix??? Qamix??? Anything??????

Does anyone know where I can get a sound mixer not including the crappy one that ships with FC3. Someone told me to try Kmix...well, none of the mirrors from fedorafaq.org's yum.conf have it, or gamix, or anything. I mean, Ubuntu, that is a Gnome distro only, has kmix packages...and that was a day or two after release. This is bloody ridiculous. Fedora Core 1 and 2 were great but this is just a great big mess.

Also, do you think SELinux could have something to do with the sound?

Old 11-29-2004, 12:02 PM   #6
rm6990

Original Poster
Well, I installed apt...or attempted to, thinking I could find a mixer with that, yum attempted to install apt twice (someone please explain this to me....) and now the whole friggin RPM system is botched. Geez, normally I get to tweak before I break a system, Red Hat took all the fun out of it. God forbid if Red Hat actually bases RHEL 4 off of this buggy piece of crap. I know I shouldn't complain considering it is free but jesus, what a waste of bandwidth downloading all the updates and the discs just to have my system break installing a program. On a scale of 0 to 10, I give Fedora Core 3 a 2 (I like Gnome 2.8 and the menus, but that's it) Erg....I think I'll just switch back to SUSE.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:31 PM   #7
Jdurr
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Equal among all Linux flavors

Rep: Reputation: 15
I have the same problem with the gnome sound mixer. I opened Kmix via the alt+F2 run program box and now I have a volume control next to the clock. It still bothers me that the gnome mixer doesn't work though. I also noticed that if you go under the preferances for the gnome mixer there is a box of audio channels that it controls, and that my box is empty.

Old 02-24-2005, 01:16 PM   #8
ducod
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Same Here with the Sound Voodoo

In my 2nd full, data loosing, installation of fedora core 3; I have similar problems with sound.
Both installations acted exactly the same. The sound test worked, nice guitar; and that was it. Oh, the system actions gave sound too; breaking glass.
It was almost like a practical joke played on me by the programers of Fedora Core 3.
So guys, please fix the sound problem. It is not us, the users, who are to blame this time; and we give up looking for that magical switch to turn our sound cards back on.
I think I could speak for all Fedora enthusiasts who like everything else about your thing of creation. Unless of course, I am wrong.

=ducod