Mandrake 9.2: Problem with font anti-aliasing after applying latest patches
MandrivaThis Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Mandrake 9.2: Problem with Firefox font anti-aliasing after applying latest patches
I am running Mandrake 9.2, and have been diligent about applying the security patches as they come out. Just a few minutes ago I applied the most recent batch (MDKSA-2004-093 through MDKSA-2004-102) by downloading them and invoking 'rpm -Fvh *.rpm' on each individual patch set. Everything seems to be functional, and working with one exception: Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird now no longer seem to be using anti-aliased fonts. I double-checked and the setting under KDE | LookNFeel | Fonts is still set to use anti-aliasing.
The odd part is that not all fonts seem to be suffering from this, even within FireFox/Thunderbird (the menu font and sidebar font, for example seem fine, and even some of the fonts on certain pages seem fine, but if I point Firefox at cnn.com, almost everything on the page is rendered in a font that is definitely not anti-aliased).
Is this an application problem, a KDE problem, a problem with the latest XFree86 patch from Mandrake (MDKSA-2004-099), a problem with the gdk/gtk patch (-095-1), or something else?
Has anyone else seen this behavior?
Any ideas on how to resolve this?
Edited (09/26): Maybe an obvious question I should ask is whether there is a relatively simple means of "unapplying" each of the patches to determine where the problem first shows up, or whether I can drop back to the earlier versions of whatever is causing the problem?
Edited again (09/27): the more I poke around on various forums, the more I am beginning to wonder whether this is some sort of incompatibility with the gtk/xft versions of Firefox/Thunderbird and the Mandrake patch MDKSA-2004-095-1that updated gdk/gtk+2. As best I can tell, none of the other applications on my system is exhibiting this behavior.
More information on this: The wierd part is that not all fonts in Firefox and Thunderbird are suffering from the lack of anti-aliasing. For example, all of the fonts used on this site (LinuxQuestions.org) seem to be un-anti-aliased, same for /almost/ all fonts on cnn.com, but the fonts on palminfocenter.com are /almost/ all anti-aliased.
I thought this might be something broken with font caching, after poking around on various sites, so I rebuilt all of the fonts.cache files with 'fc-cache -fv' and restarted my system, but that doesn't seem to have made a bit of difference.
I finally found and fixed the problem, after stumbing across a description of something similar on the Web. I had tracked the ugly, non-anti-aliased fonts down to Web pages that included fonts such as Helvetica. When I started pulling that thread, I found that Helvetica was being loaded from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi, based on the <dir> element in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf pointing to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts. By replacing that <dir> element to point to specific directories below the .../X11/fonts directory, but excluding the 75dpi directory (since those are bitmapped fonts), applications like Firefox no long pull in those fonts.