Linux - Wireless NetworkingThis forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I am having a small DNS problem when switching from a wired to wireless connection. I use this laptop when roaming about the facility, and there are many areas that do not have wireless access (so I have to plug into Ethernet). When I first connect to the network after booting up, DNS works fine. But when I roam to an area that I have to switch my network connection to wirless (from wired) or visa-versa, DNS gets very slow (but it does work after 5-10 seconds or so for each site I go to). I am using dhclient for DHCP.
If I remove this line from my resolv.conf:
Then lookups are fast again.
I believe this just bypasses any DNS caching on my laptop. But if there is a way to flush or reset DNS caching so it works properly, I think that would fix it. The lookups work fine at first boot, and that entry exists in resolv.conf.
I am not sure it has anything to do with tmdns or mdnsresponder.
I have tried changing PEERDNS to =no in all ifcfg- scripts so resolv.conf does not get updated......but that did nothing.
PS - for now I just wrote a script to remove the line "nameserver=127.0.0.1" in resolv.conf, and I run it after switching networks.