I want to install a single-boot, lightweight, non-full-featured distro with a lightweight gui - fast load, very easy on resources.
Once loaded, that distro will serve to run only
- internet: lightweight browser & e-mail
- lightweight utils: terminal, gui notepad, calculator, network admin, and maybe some other quick-n-dirty tasks
- vmplayer: (brand-name or generic) to run virtual machines for
- xp and ubuntu (or other high-power distro) - simultaneously
- perhaps vm appliances, other distros, other O/S
- HP notebook
- 2GB RAM
- Intel wireless
- Nvidia geoforce g 7600
All of my experience is with UNIX and full-featured distros like R/H, Debian, Ubuntu. What are some good skinny distros for the vm host & for those quick in-and-out tasks?