LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2004, 01:10 AM   #1
claudius753
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Distribution: Mac OS X 10.6.4 "Snow Leopard", Win 7, Ubuntu 10.04
Posts: 322

Rep: Reputation: 31
MSN ISP Under linux?


Is there any way (program, etcetera) to use the MSN ISP under linux? Other than wine that is. My friend is going to start his transformation into a linux user from an WinXP user. The only problem is that they use MSN. I could set up the connection manually to use MSN but they really need a way to get thier email. They don't want to use the web access page, they would rather use a different program (Eudora, preferably Mozilla Thuderbird)

MSN now uses an HTTP mail server. I have been able to get MSN email using hotmail popper but i think it is only for windows?

Any other options besides the web way???


TIA

Nathan
 
Old 02-01-2004, 01:20 AM   #2
corbintechboy
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 480
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 51
I don't know but I do believe the only way to use a mail program with msn is to buy the extra storage they offer and use it. I really don't know of anyother way to do this someone else might know but I don't think there is.
 
Old 02-02-2004, 05:44 PM   #3
BaPu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: France
Distribution: debian, gnome 2.6,kernel 2.6.4
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
As far as hotmail is concerned it works with hotway, you can use with your ISP without wine.
http://hotwayd.sourceforge.net/
and in order to setup easily
http://hotwayd.sourceforge.net/install/
 
Old 02-02-2004, 06:50 PM   #4
DjZvEr
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Posts: 14

Rep: Reputation: 0
Re: MSN ISP Under linux?

Quote:
Originally posted by claudius753
Is there any way (program, etcetera) to use the MSN ISP under linux? Other than wine that is. My friend is going to start his transformation into a linux user from an WinXP user. The only problem is that they use MSN. I could set up the connection manually to use MSN but they really need a way to get thier email. They don't want to use the web access page, they would rather use a different program (Eudora, preferably Mozilla Thuderbird)

MSN now uses an HTTP mail server. I have been able to get MSN email using hotmail popper but i think it is only for windows?

Any other options besides the web way???


TIA

Nathan



Hey how do you set up a connection manualy? I am a total and I am trying to use Earthlink on my Fedora 1 is it posible?
 
Old 02-03-2004, 12:17 AM   #5
claudius753
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Distribution: Mac OS X 10.6.4 "Snow Leopard", Win 7, Ubuntu 10.04
Posts: 322

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally posted by BaPu
As far as hotmail is concerned it works with hotway, you can use with your ISP without wine.
http://hotwayd.sourceforge.net/
and in order to setup easily
http://hotwayd.sourceforge.net/install/

Thanks. I will check out hotway. Sorry about a little confusion...my question was worded kinda weird, right before bed.

I was wondering if there were a way to use MSNs software or something similar that had all in one access browser and email but ive been talking them into using Firebird and Thunderbird instead so thats no longer an issue.

Nathan
 
Old 02-03-2004, 12:34 AM   #6
claudius753
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Distribution: Mac OS X 10.6.4 "Snow Leopard", Win 7, Ubuntu 10.04
Posts: 322

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 31
Checking the earthlink website, they say you can set up a connection manually using windows DUN, meaning that you can also set it up manually in Linux. Note that you will not have the earthlink software, just connected to earthlink for internet access.

You will need to go to earthlinks page and find and write down your local access numbers. your username, it says, will be your email address eg you@earthlink.net and your password will be the same as normal.

If fedora is the same as red hat, you should have a wizard to set up an internet connection, or you can use kppp which is what i use.
 
Old 02-03-2004, 09:14 AM   #7
moosedaddy
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Distribution: Debian Unstable
Posts: 244

Rep: Reputation: 30
For MSN set it up just like you would a DUN in windows "msn/username" without the quotes.

For the hotmail there is amsn you can get at sourceforge it looks very similar to MSN instant messenger.
 
Old 02-03-2004, 11:04 AM   #8
DjZvEr
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Posts: 14

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by claudius753
Checking the earthlink website, they say you can set up a connection manually using windows DUN, meaning that you can also set it up manually in Linux. Note that you will not have the earthlink software, just connected to earthlink for internet access.

You will need to go to earthlinks page and find and write down your local access numbers. your username, it says, will be your email address eg you@earthlink.net and your password will be the same as normal.

If fedora is the same as red hat, you should have a wizard to set up an internet connection, or you can use kppp which is what i use.

Thanks will try and get back if it worked
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to connect to MSN ISP with Linux Barton Bosch Linux - General 9 07-16-2004 01:49 AM
Connecting to MSN(ISP) with Linux... BitsnBytes Linux - Software 1 06-05-2004 12:01 PM
msn isp help jherrico Linux - Newbie 7 11-15-2003 10:47 PM
MSN isp and Linux greg108 Linux - Hardware 10 08-28-2003 07:17 PM
Isp--msn Hartford Linux - General 1 12-08-2001 05:43 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration