LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2004, 12:44 PM   #1
thegamegraal
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Posts: 35

Rep: Reputation: 15
Install kopete


i have mandrake9.1, Im pretty new at this stuff. Im trying to install kopete a messanger. I type ./configure in console like it tells me to and i get this error

checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for extra includes... no
checking for extra libs... no
checking for libz... -lz
checking for libpng... no
checking for libjpeg6b... no
checking for libjpeg... no
configure: WARNING: libjpeg not found. disable JPEG support.
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.2) (headers and libraries) not found. Please check your installation!
For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.
[thegamegraal@localhost kopete-0.9.0]$

when i look at the end of configure.log it says this

#define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
#define PACKAGE_NAME ""
#define PACKAGE_STRING ""
#define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
#define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
#define SIZEOF_CHAR_P 4
#define SIZEOF_INT 4
#define SIZEOF_LONG 4
#define SIZEOF_SHORT 2
#define SIZEOF_SIZE_T 4
#define SIZEOF_UNSIGNED_LONG 4
#define STDC_HEADERS 1
#define VERSION "3.3.0"
#define kde_socklen_t socklen_t
#define ksize_t socklen_t
#endif
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" void std::exit (int) throw (); using std::exit;

configure: exit 1

what do i do?
 
Old 12-09-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
thegamegraal
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
maybe Qt (>= Qt 3.2) means i have version 3.2 of kde? it says i need 3.5 to install...no clue just a random guess..
 
Old 12-09-2004, 02:20 PM   #3
thegamegraal
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
anyone....?
 
Old 12-09-2004, 02:27 PM   #4
mjjzf
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Valby, Denmark / Citizen of the Web
Distribution: Slackware 14.1
Posts: 879

Rep: Reputation: 38
No, QT is a coding framework. Have you tried
Code:
urpmi qt
- that should give you a view of the installation. The error message suggests that you need version 3.2 or later. If there is no go with URPMI, see if you can dig it up at RPMFind.
 
Old 12-09-2004, 03:49 PM   #5
thegamegraal
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
tried to get urpmi and it said i needed like 12 perl files....i hate this..i think im switching back to windows. Everytime i try to download something it tells me i need something else and that file tells me i need something else then that other file tells me i need something else. And it never ends..god if i had 56k my computer would be out the window.
 
Old 12-09-2004, 09:07 PM   #6
thegamegraal
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
anyone know where i can just get a package of shit so i dont have to worry about getting a billion files..
 
Old 12-10-2004, 12:34 AM   #7
daihard
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Distribution: Kubuntu 12.04
Posts: 913

Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally posted by thegamegraal
anyone know where i can just get a package of shit so i dont have to worry about getting a billion files..
The reason there's no package that meets everyone's need is because there are so many different varieties of UNIX/Linux flavours out there, creating one would be just plain impossible. Do you want to see one particular version of Linux taking up 90+ percent of the desktop market? I don't.

Qt is the set of application development tools. Kopete is build with it, so you naturally need Qt in order to run Kopete. And the version of Kopete that you're trying to install requires the version of Qt that's 3.2 or newer.

I don't have Mandrake 9.1, but you can check the version of Qt installed on your machine this way (via command-line):
Code:
# rpm -qa | grep qt3
It will produce a list that looks like this:
Code:
qt3-3.2.3-8
qt3-tools-3.2.3-8
qt3-devel-3.2.3-8
This means you've got Qt 3.2.3 installed. You say you cannot "configure" Kopete because you don't have Qt 3.2 or newer. I am pretty sure it's because you don't have the "qt3-devel" package installed. If the above command proves it's the case, all you have to do is grab your Mandrake CDs, find the "qt3-devel" package and install it.

Good luck!
Dai
 
Old 12-10-2004, 12:50 AM   #8
thegamegraal
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by daihard
The reason there's no package that meets everyone's need is because there are so many different varieties of UNIX/Linux flavours out there, creating one would be just plain impossible. Do you want to see one particular version of Linux taking up 90+ percent of the desktop market? I don't.

Qt is the set of application development tools. Kopete is build with it, so you naturally need Qt in order to run Kopete. And the version of Kopete that you're trying to install requires the version of Qt that's 3.2 or newer.

I don't have Mandrake 9.1, but you can check the version of Qt installed on your machine this way (via command-line):
Code:
# rpm -qa | grep qt3
It will produce a list that looks like this:
Code:
qt3-3.2.3-8
qt3-tools-3.2.3-8
qt3-devel-3.2.3-8
This means you've got Qt 3.2.3 installed. You say you cannot "configure" Kopete because you don't have Qt 3.2 or newer. I am pretty sure it's because you don't have the "qt3-devel" package installed. If the above command proves it's the case, all you have to do is grab your Mandrake CDs, find the "qt3-devel" package and install it.

Good luck!
Dai
i know this..then i get qt...it says i need something else...then i get that says i need 6 other things and so on..never ending cycle that is not worth it for every program i try to install
 
Old 12-10-2004, 12:54 AM   #9
daihard
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Distribution: Kubuntu 12.04
Posts: 913

Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally posted by thegamegraal
i know this..then i get qt...it says i need something else...then i get that says i need 6 other things and so on..never ending cycle that is not worth it for every program i try to install
That's starting to sound suspicious. You do have KDE installed on your machine, don't you? Which version?

To do your own compilation, you need lots of *-devel packages. If you didn't have them installed to begin with, then you've got to do that before starting to build stuff yourself.

Last edited by daihard; 12-10-2004 at 12:55 AM.
 
Old 12-13-2004, 07:19 PM   #10
FF103
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Kentucky
Distribution: Mandrake 10.1
Posts: 157

Rep: Reputation: 30
kopete is included in the Mandrake 9.1 CD's, just go to the Mandrake Control Center and search "kopete" Also Yahoo Messenger is available in RPM for 9.1
 
Old 12-13-2004, 07:23 PM   #11
BruceCadieux
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: Wales MA.
Distribution: openSuSE 11.1
Posts: 409

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally posted by thegamegraal
anyone know where i can just get a package of shit
Yes go back to windows. It's the biggest package of shit I know of.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kopete .v0.10.1 Install KooPA Linux - Software 1 06-22-2005 06:57 PM
Install the New Kopete Faxanadu Suse/Novell 8 05-30-2005 04:14 PM
kopete-0.9.2 install rampentpenguin Linux - Software 1 01-26-2005 01:36 PM
How to install Kopete mikeboy99 Linux - Newbie 5 07-27-2004 08:23 AM
Trying to Install kopete-0.7.1 Moses420ca Linux - Newbie 5 08-26-2003 04:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration