Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have had a miserable time finding a browser that renders fonts correctly.... or even close to IE. I use the soon-to-be-renamed Phoenix and it is awesome! Tabs and popup blocking rule! It's very fast, too. I will give the XFT thing a try though.
btw, Oprah er, Opera sucks.... banner ads suck and the pages look crappy.
Dillo is the fastest graphical web browser ever. period.
Mozilla for power, Phoenix is the great all-around web browser.
Yes, I am very pleased with the features in Phoenix: popup blocking (except for some very clever popups a large New York City newspaper has succeeded in inflicting on readers of its website...); tabs that are extremely useful; beautiful and easy to change themes, etc.
If I ever get fonts improved I'll be even happier!
Is anyone else having problems seeing the screenshot??? I put the public url's for each. If this one doesn't work i give up.
Also, here are the instructions on compiling your own phoenix with XFT fonts if anyone is interested.
Opera?? lol, I downloaded that once and ended with a screen filled with banners and other stuff that i didn't even want to look into. The web page filled about 20% of the browser, the other 80% was ads and other stuff. I don't see how people can pay for a browser.
Does anyone have a clue what the Phoenix FAQ at http://texturizer.net/phoenix/ means by making a "personalized build" from mozilla and phoenix sources for XFT support? I'm not finding any phoenix source code to download?
Strange--on the Phoenix help page (and thanks, Cuckoopint, for the nice links)--it says a bug makes bookmarks unable to be imported or exported.
I guess this means "automagically" imported, since the first thing I did after installing the "stable" Phoenix a few days ago was to furnish it with my Mozilla bookmarks, by means of creating a user file (following instructions on the Phoenix pages).
I hope that statement won't put off a lot of users from trying out Phoenix. I know I'd be inclined to say, "Forget it," if I had to start all over with bookmarks.
Originally posted by digiot It'd be even faster if it wasn't for the banner ads embedded on the toolbar.
I maximize the browser window, right click the ad section and put it on the bottom, then I move the window so that the ads are off the bottom of the screen and then drag the top of the window up to the top of the monitor- free Opera & no ads!
I preferred Opera till I came to Linux and lost the decent fonts it had in Windows (and I'm not advanced enough to carry out the involved fix for this). I still would prefer it because of its nifty tabs only Mozilla has just as good tabs, and Phoenix has even (considerably!) better ones. If Phoenix, or whatever it's going to be called finally, is really the future of Mozilla, it's a bright future. I hope they get it so that "mailto:" works, though; and it would be good if there was a way to "send a page" as there is in Mozilla.