Yes this is a resurrection, but it is better than starting a new thread.
--In any case I tried installing my firefox profile to a fat32 partition so that both windows and linux can write to the profile. While in windows I have tried this but everytime I do so and restart firefox, the program just doesn't see, to want to read the profile. Is there some setting that I need to change?
This is the procedure that I have been following:
1. Shut down Firefox completely (File > Exit).
2. Move the profile folder to the desired location. For example, on Windows,
move the profile from C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default to D:\Stuff\MyProfile.
If you are reading these instructions because you want to restore a previously backed up profile, this step isn't necessary.
Just note the current location of the profile you want to restore.
3. Open up profiles.ini in a text editor. The file is located in the application data folder for Firefox:
* On Windows XP/2000, the path is %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\
* On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\
* On Linux, the path is ~/.mozilla/firefox/
* On Mac OS X, the path is ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/
4. In profiles.ini, locate the entry for the profile you've just moved.
Change the Path= line to the new location.
5. Change IsRelative=1 to IsRelative=0.
6. Save profiles.ini and restart Firefox.