this is a bug in the installer. you can download a patch from oracle http://metalink.oracle.com
Here is the description from Oracle
The information in this article applies to:
Oracle Universal Installer - Version: 2.1 to 2.2
Red Hat Advanced Server
When running the installer on Red Hat AS 3.0 it fails with the next error messages :
Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /tmp/OraInstall2004-02-24_10-40-59AM/jre/bin/java. Please wait...
Error occurred during initialization of VM
Unable to load native library: /tmp/OraInstall2004-02-24_10-40-59AM/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so: symbol __libc_wait, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
You might also receive different error messages depending on what Oracle product you're trying to install.
If trying to install Oracle apps 11.5.7 you might receive the following error.
Executing AutoConfig for TBOLI...
symbolerrno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with
link time reference (libzip.so)
Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread
Could not create Java VM
This is a product defect.
Please download and install the patch for Bug 3006854 available in Metalink.
Read the installation instructions in the readme.txt file included in the patch :
- unzip p3006854_9204_LINUX.zip
- Login as the root user,
- Set your current directory to the directory where the patch is located.
- sh rhel3_pre_install.sh
- You do need root privileges to run the last command line.
- This patch is not specific to a particular Oracle version, but you'll find it using version 22.214.171.124.
- The patch is needed before running the Oracle Universal Installerfor any (certified) Oracle product on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0.
- Installer of Oracle10g does not need this patch.