Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Have issues with CUPS running under Mandrake 8.2 on my office
box....this is a new thing (past couple of days). I usually use this printer to print output from an old DOS application (DataPerfect database app running under DOSEmu) pretty much exclusively.
Basically, what happens is this ... all's well until I send a print job.
Then the CUPS daemon immediately spikes CPU usage up to 97-100% and stays there, even after the job is done. The only way to solve it is to stop the daemon and restart it again later. Anyone else had this sort of issue with CUPS?
I'd really like to dump CUPS anyway and go back to LPRng, but if I do this I get this funky header on every page and it won't print high-order ASCII characters. As it is now, I have to use xpp to tell the printer to print "raw" output only to do this anyway, which is a PITA when I need to print graphics or dump a web page. I'm using an HP DeskJet 560c printer.
I don't have this sort of problem on my print server at home, which is running RedHat 7.3 and using LPRng (though with a couple of Epson printers).
Mine gets a lot of CPU power too. Mine rig is pretty swift and it still takes a lot. On my old 400MHz it would grind almost to a halt. Would take hours to print 30 pages.
Don't know how to fix it but you are not alone.
It is normal that it takes the all CPU usage during the printing process, because the way LPT and printers work is obsolete and requires an active waiting. BUT it is not normal that it does not release the CPU once the job done. I Hope I helped.
I have noticed that CUPS constantly consumes about 25% of my CPU [AMD1.2] on my LInux box and 30% on my IMac . While this doesn't affect me much on my Linux box, it does interfere with video editing on my IMac.
I am really curious why a passive daemon should be chewing my my CPU so much. Could this be related to broadcast notifications? Would still seem a bit high, though.
Normally in CUPS webadmin modu;e we get only details of the file name printer and username initiated the print. Anybody know whether there is any software or option available to list the no: pages also. However we can find it out from page_log file by comparing the job id. but it is not possible for a busy administrator. So if any program is available for showing the no: of pages in a user friendly way please reply.
I've hit this problem for the first time ever. Cups worked fine in the past with Mandrake 9.1 & 9.2. With Mandrake 10 Community, after configuring a remote printer, cups ramps up to 99% of CPU after a few seconds and stays there. This is before I've submitted any print jobs. Cups isn't scanning for new printers as far as I know. Right now, starting CUPS to print is my workaround, but not great.
Any more ideas anyone? (I tried editing the conf file but no luck).
I've done a bit more checking on CUPS :
version 1.1.20-5mdk (1.1.20 is latest version as far as I can see - no updates for Mandrake Official)
The cupsd process runs on low CPU for about 20-30 secs after it's started. Then it climbs up to 99% very quickly and stays there. The only child process cupsd is calling is cups-polld, but that isn't using any significant CPU time.
CUPS only uses up the CPU if I have a printer configured (a remote one, I don't have a local printer to connect right now). As soon as I configure a remote print server and restart CUPS, it goes crazy. With no printers configured, CUPS behaves (but doesn't do anything useful, of course )