[SOLVED] Unable to run 'Software Update' after upgrade to rhel 6.1
Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Unable to run 'Software Update' after upgrade to rhel 6.1
I was using RHAT 6.0 Open Client for a couple months and didn't have any issues. Recently my company released version 6.1 of Open Client and recommended to upgrade it. Upgrade went smoothly and I didn't notice any problems until at some point it failed to run 'Software Update' application. Someone from my company forum recommended to do the following:
sudo pgrep -f packagekit| xargs kill -9
sudo rm -rf /var/cache/yum/* /var/cache/PackageKit/*
After that I have a problem. If I try to start 'Software Update' app from menu I have the error: "An internal system error has occurred":
Error Type: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>
Error Value: refresh_cache() takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py, line 3270, in <module>
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py, line 3266, in main
backend = PackageKitYumBackend('',
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py, line 243, in __init__
If I run yum update I have this error:
google-talkplugin x86_64 220.127.116.11-1 google-talkplugin 7.3 M
perl x86_64 4:5.10.1-119.el6 RHEL-61-x86_64 10 M
perl-libs x86_64 4:5.10.1-119.el6 RHEL-61-x86_64 577 k
Total size: 18 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Running Transaction Check
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in <module>
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 274, in user_main
errcode = main(args)
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 211, in main
return_code = base.doTransaction()
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 526, in doTransaction
msgs = self._run_rpm_check()
AttributeError: 'YumBaseCli' object has no attribute '_run_rpm_check'
I agree with andrewthomas. In my case I didn't fixed it myself ... someone from my colleague realized that in my system /usr/local/ is a symbolic link with the wrong target. After he removed the link my problem disappeared.