LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2006, 01:10 AM   #1
pmasterp
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy SUSE 10.1 Installation issues


I don't know what I'm doing incorrect I just try to Install Linux as a dual booting PC but whitout any sucess.

This is my PC hardware:

- Motherboard evga nvidia
- 250 GB HD SATA
- USB Mouse
- USB Wireless Microsoft Keyboard
- AMD 64 X2 4400+

And the only distro I could sucessfully install is SUSE 10.1 but after first booting and selecting suse then the system wont detect my keyboard and sometimes usb mouse either. And system doesn't response.

What should I'm doing wrong? It's the hardware my issue? I see at BIOS and it setup to detect USB mouse and keyboard so don't know what to do.

Thanks for your help
 
Old 10-07-2006, 01:29 AM   #2
pda_h4x0r
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: somewhere in cyberspace
Distribution: Debian, Familiar
Posts: 380

Rep: Reputation: 30
You will need to configure X to recognize your USB mouse and keyboard. Just edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (there are plenty of tutorials online regarding this issue).
 
Old 10-07-2006, 02:33 AM   #3
pmasterp
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda_h4x0r
You will need to configure X to recognize your USB mouse and keyboard. Just edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (there are plenty of tutorials online regarding this issue).
I try to get as much information as I can, but they were so tecnically and I don't know where I need to configure this or that, it's at booting? what's the key I need to press to use this screen, please help

 
Old 10-08-2006, 12:22 AM   #4
pmasterp
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmasterp
I try to get as much information as I can, but they were so tecnically and I don't know where I need to configure this or that, it's at booting? what's the key I need to press to use this screen, please help

Anybody who can help me, because I'm not booting and I know it's related to /etc/x11/xorg.conf but don't don't how in booting option to modify this file. Anyone please help???
 
Old 10-08-2006, 02:29 AM   #5
pda_h4x0r
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: somewhere in cyberspace
Distribution: Debian, Familiar
Posts: 380

Rep: Reputation: 30
Oops, double post. See below

Last edited by pda_h4x0r; 10-08-2006 at 02:36 AM.
 
Old 10-08-2006, 02:36 AM   #6
pda_h4x0r
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: somewhere in cyberspace
Distribution: Debian, Familiar
Posts: 380

Rep: Reputation: 30
Hmmm...

Try using "usb" or "IMPS/2" as the mouse protocol.
Also, try using "/dev/psaux" or "/dev/input/mice" as the mouse device.
Make sure to disable legacy usb support in your bios if you can.

You will have to experiment--there are multiple ways to get this working.
 
Old 10-08-2006, 09:02 PM   #7
pmasterp
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda_h4x0r
Hmmm...

Try using "usb" or "IMPS/2" as the mouse protocol.
Also, try using "/dev/psaux" or "/dev/input/mice" as the mouse device.
Make sure to disable legacy usb support in your bios if you can.

You will have to experiment--there are multiple ways to get this working.
How to do it if system wont boot and I know the problem is not the mouse or keyboard it's the graphics cards. I have one evga e-geforce 7900 gt ko 256 mb 256 bits.

Windows booting ok but no the same on Linux
 
Old 10-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #8
pda_h4x0r
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: somewhere in cyberspace
Distribution: Debian, Familiar
Posts: 380

Rep: Reputation: 30
Use the "nv" driver for X to get your NVIDIA graphics card working (hardware acceleration is a different story, however).

If the system doesn't boot (i.e. you get a kernel panic, you can't get to a login prompt, etc), then this is something else entirely.

Please provide us with as much information as possible with this problem--we aren't sitting in front of your computer, ya know

Last edited by pda_h4x0r; 10-08-2006 at 09:52 PM.
 
Old 10-09-2006, 06:11 PM   #9
pmasterp
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda_h4x0r
Use the "nv" driver for X to get your NVIDIA graphics card working (hardware acceleration is a different story, however).

If the system doesn't boot (i.e. you get a kernel panic, you can't get to a login prompt, etc), then this is something else entirely.

Please provide us with as much information as possible with this problem--we aren't sitting in front of your computer, ya know
thanks for be so patience with me, finally I know what was the issue, and was that I have a DVB-S Card, and Linux is not recognize that, just remove it and voila system works pretty well.

I really enjoy graphics and I will start posting as thing I need. Just know learn how to install my card.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SuSe Installation Issues on SunBlade 100 dortizmx Solaris / OpenSolaris 0 07-19-2005 01:14 PM
SuSe 9.2 installation issues sam_higton SUSE / openSUSE 7 06-10-2005 04:20 AM
Issues with SuSE 9.2 Pro Installation Hambone_20003 Linux - Newbie 8 02-14-2005 06:40 PM
SuSE 9.2 Installation Issues mbjunior99 Linux - Newbie 2 11-18-2004 05:07 AM
SuSE Linux installation issues... DeanClean Linux - Newbie 1 10-06-2004 05:46 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration