as for the sound card i have no idea what it is
open a terminal and copy and paste the results for these commands pls
lspci | grep Audio
also in a terminal run alsamixer and report if you can see a mixer (in the terminal), if not you may need to install a package
but we will wait.
2) we can tell from your error message that you have at least an intel sound device.
Generally speaking sound drivers for hardware come from a kernel module or two
ditto codecs come from a combination of kernel modules and sound applications
3) Do you know how to take a snapshot in Linux?
4) why did you use backtrack as your laptop distro?
5) Do you know that there are specific distros for laptops?
b) and smaller window managers for laptops?
5) what is the make and model of this laptop?