LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
IHateGrub
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Posts: 19

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Problem using Linux mint console at all... Need it to fix grub.


I asked a question about fixing grub as I'd deleted a Linux partition which means I can't access windows now because I've deleted some of the grub files. I was given this link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=622828 and told to follow those instructions however I open the console and it just says command not found when I enter the commands? I am connected to the Internet but the console just won't work.

I also see that in Linux mint now there is an application involving grub and I was wondering if it could've fixed through there?


I also wanted to know how I know for sure which partition is the windows one, I opened one "sda3" which had the windows files in, I.e. I found my user files etc. but it said that it couldn't be mounted because it was read only - is it supposed to be or do I need to change that and is that definitely the correct partition?

Please help soon, I'm very stressed out and I'm taking over the living room since in hooked directly into the router.
 
Old 08-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
colorpurple21859
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: florida
Distribution: slackware64-current, puppy, ubuntu
Posts: 1,906

Rep: Reputation: 262Reputation: 262Reputation: 262
Are you booting Linux Mint from a cd or from the hard drive?
 
Old 08-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
IHateGrub
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Live CD. Is that what causes it?

---------- Post added 08-13-13 at 12:58 PM ----------

If so, I'm kind of screwed. I can't access my hard drive because if grub being messed up.
 
Old 08-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
goumba
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Distribution: Debian Sid. Arch. In the process of converting to and learning FreeBSD
Posts: 1,026
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 237Reputation: 237Reputation: 237
Which commands give you a not found error? I see several listed there, some requiring installation of packages, and if you follow all directions you should be fine.

Judging from the age of that thread, and the utilities used, that may only work for Windows XP and older. For newer versions, you'll need a Windows CD and tell it fix a problem with booting. To restore GRUB and therefore access to both Windows and Linux, check this page: http://askubuntu.com/questions/13912...in-a-dual-boot
 
Old 08-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
colorpurple21859
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: florida
Distribution: slackware64-current, puppy, ubuntu
Posts: 1,906

Rep: Reputation: 262Reputation: 262Reputation: 262
What linux partition did you delete? If your getting rid of your linux partitions and going back to just booting windows you should be able to fix things by booting into a windows recovery console either from a windows recovery cd or maybe by pressing one of the F keys when the computer first boots. When you get to a prompt type
Quote:
fixmbr
and then reboot.
 
Old 08-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 6,872

Rep: Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249
This is a case where you need to post more details as reading through part of the link, I see many pages starting with a problem someone had 6 years ago and going up to 2011. There are probably a dozen or more commands reported so, which commands? If you are indeed using a Linux Mint Live CD (which release, 15), you should be able to ascertain your windows partition by simply typing: gparted in a terminal. That is a partitioner and when it opens should tell you which partitions and filesystems it recognizes. You can also get this by typing in a terminal:
sudo fdisk -l(Lower Case Letter L in the command) and you will see a column labelled System. Below that, if you see a partition listed as HPFS/NTFS you can look to the column on the extreme left (Device) and below that will show the partition, such as /dev/sda1.

The link you referred to started in 2007 when Ubuntu and Mint were still using an earlier version of Grub which may be part of the problem as a number of Grub commands for the earlier version will not work on the newer version and vice versa.

Other pertinent information which would be needed; is your windows install the only operating system on the computer? and which windows are you using because the commands are different depending upon which windows you use. Do you have an installation CD/DVD for your version of windows? That would be the simplest way to repair.

For informational purposes, you have this problem because you were booting with Grub and most boot files are on the system or boot partition whether it is Linux or windows and when you delete that partition, they are gone. In your situation, you would first use your windows CD/DVD to repair the mbr with the windows bootloader and THEN delete the Linux partition. You could also just create a separate boot or grub partition without Mint to boot windows.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
IHateGrub
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by goumba View Post
Which commands give you a not found error? I see several listed there, some requiring installation of packages, and if you follow all directions you should be fine.

Judging from the age of that thread, and the utilities used, that may only work for Windows XP and older. For newer versions, you'll need a Windows CD and tell it fix a problem with booting. To restore GRUB and therefore access to both Windows and Linux, check this page: http://askubuntu.com/questions/13912...in-a-dual-boot

Any command I try, it even says it doesn't recommend "sudo" etc. I tried to install the package via the first command, didn't even try the second one because I saw it didn't work. I tried it without sudo and then it said apt-get was an unknown command etc.
 
Old 08-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
IHateGrub
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorpurple21859 View Post
What linux partition did you delete? If your getting rid of your linux partitions and going back to just booting windows you should be able to fix things by booting into a windows recovery console either from a windows recovery cd or maybe by pressing one of the F keys when the computer first boots. When you get to a prompt type
and then reboot.

When I try to boot normally, I get an error - I struggle to recall now as I've been running the Linux Mint CD but it is "grub - unknown filesystem" or something along those lines? This means I can't boot to Windows. As I understand it, grub is the boot manager which provides the choice of what to boot to. I only had Ubuntu and Windows installed and because I'm a moron I just deleted the linux partition rather than removing it properly (which I still don't really know how to do) which contains some of the grub files but others are held in a different partition so grub is essentially corrupted and so can't be used. Ideally, I'd just like to get rid of grub and boot directly to Windows. I wish to use linux from a memory stick which I can deal with when I've sorted my boot problem (I've done that much before, I just haven't bought a memory stick).
 
Old 08-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
IHateGrub
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
This is a case where you need to post more details as reading through part of the link, I see many pages starting with a problem someone had 6 years ago and going up to 2011. There are probably a dozen or more commands reported so, which commands? If you are indeed using a Linux Mint Live CD (which release, 15), you should be able to ascertain your windows partition by simply typing: gparted in a terminal. That is a partitioner and when it opens should tell you which partitions and filesystems it recognizes. You can also get this by typing in a terminal:
sudo fdisk -l(Lower Case Letter L in the command) and you will see a column labelled System. Below that, if you see a partition listed as HPFS/NTFS you can look to the column on the extreme left (Device) and below that will show the partition, such as /dev/sda1.

The link you referred to started in 2007 when Ubuntu and Mint were still using an earlier version of Grub which may be part of the problem as a number of Grub commands for the earlier version will not work on the newer version and vice versa.

Other pertinent information which would be needed; is your windows install the only operating system on the computer? and which windows are you using because the commands are different depending upon which windows you use. Do you have an installation CD/DVD for your version of windows? That would be the simplest way to repair.

For informational purposes, you have this problem because you were booting with Grub and most boot files are on the system or boot partition whether it is Linux or windows and when you delete that partition, they are gone. In your situation, you would first use your windows CD/DVD to repair the mbr with the windows bootloader and THEN delete the Linux partition. You could also just create a separate boot or grub partition without Mint to boot windows.
My apologies, I struggle to know what is relevant and what isn't - I don't want to post tons of information if it will just make your task harder because you have to wade through to find the relevant stuff.

As I said above, no command seem to be recognised. I do not know which release, I got it recently so I'm assuming the latest. Thank-you for the gparted command, that worked but I don't know how to tell which is windows, also is it supposed to be read only as it said when I accessed it from the desk top icon? Yes, Windows is the only one left and as I said above the only one I want on the hard drive. I am using Windows 7 (don't like 8) and I don't have the recovery disk and it would be difficult to find (I don't have the money for it etc.) so I'm stuck doing it this way I think.

Yes, what you said there - I think that is the problem but I'm unsure exactly but yes that sounds right. As I said above, I deleted the partition instead of removing it properly... What is the best way to go about this? I have an Internet connection but only via direct ethernet which means the laptop is on the floor and so I'm trying to stay away from it to avoid hurting my back so any preparation work or whatever I have a different laptop for but I don't know how much use that will be.
 
Old 08-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
colorpurple21859
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: florida
Distribution: slackware64-current, puppy, ubuntu
Posts: 1,906

Rep: Reputation: 262Reputation: 262Reputation: 262
Do you have Windows recovery cd or able to reach a recovery console by pressing one of the F keys?
 
Old 08-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
IHateGrub
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorpurple21859 View Post
Do you have Windows recovery cd or able to reach a recovery console by pressing one of the F keys?
I tried to go into the recovery (F4 on my laptop) but then I get the error I talked about
"error - unknown filesystem
grub-rescue: "

What do I do? Is that where I can enter fixmbr? Would that work? I dare not try it without confirmation but if so that would be amazing!
 
Old 08-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
goumba
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Distribution: Debian Sid. Arch. In the process of converting to and learning FreeBSD
Posts: 1,026
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 237Reputation: 237Reputation: 237
The old fixmbr will not work for Windows 7, it's for the old style booting scheme (well, technically it will likely work, just not fix your problem).

You'll need the CD, as Windows Vista and newer use a new booting system.

Do you have a friend with a Windows 7 PC? Try this: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...sc-create.html
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
EDDY1
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland,Ca
Distribution: wins7, Debian wheezy
Posts: 6,838

Rep: Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649
You can download wins 7 here to repair, but to reinstall you need to use your wins key. Also you have to download the actual version of wins that is on your system for it to work
 
Old 08-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
IHateGrub
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by goumba View Post
The old fixmbr will not work for Windows 7, it's for the old style booting scheme (well, technically it will likely work, just not fix your problem).

You'll need the CD, as Windows Vista and newer use a new booting system.

Do you have a friend with a Windows 7 PC? Try this: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...sc-create.html
Yes, I do! Even 64-bit to match my own, thank-you! Unfortunately, I do not have any CDs so I'll have to purchase some before I can try this. Will it definitely work?
 
Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #15
IHateGrub
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
This won't delete any of my files on my own system will it? It is just about the Windows not the content because I have lots of valuable work on my hard-drive. I also wonder what size discs will I need?

If you can, please respond quickly as I need to get the discs as soon as I can but I don't want to buy any that aren't big enough. Thank-you.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Linux Mint 14.1 bug fix update released LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-03-2012 10:41 PM
LXer: Linux Mint 14.1 released to fix showstopper bugs LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-01-2012 06:50 AM
[SOLVED] Lenovo s205 - Linux mint - Grub problem. Greet Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 07-29-2011 08:46 PM
Inserting entry of opensuse in grub 2 of linux mint 10 Problem linuxwhacko Linux - Newbie 2 03-02-2011 05:38 PM
re installation of grub in Linux mint after installing xp over mint sampad.sarangi General 1 01-15-2008 06:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration