LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
srk999
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
Need help with making a custom live Linux dvd


Hi, this is my first post here.
I need help with building a custom live Linux DVD that contains only one game (over 4GB).
That means the OS has to be considerably small to fit into a 4.7 GB dvd.
And the OS should have the widest support for sound and video hardwares to be able to play the game.
If someone wants to partner up with me to build this dvd that would be nice.
I have already compiled the whole game (opensource game) and it comes to about 4.1 GB at the moment. But farther updates over the years may increase its size.
It would be huge once the project is complete. The game is huge popular already, but it would be even bigger once it goes live.

Last edited by srk999; 07-08-2008 at 03:31 PM.
 
Old 07-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
bigrigdriver
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Jul 2002
Location: East Centra Illinois, USA
Distribution: Debian Squeeze
Posts: 5,784

Rep: Reputation: 311Reputation: 311Reputation: 311Reputation: 311
Just a personal opinion, but wouldn't it be easier to have one DVD with the OS and the basic game (a few levels of play with sound files, maps, etc), and a companion DVD with additional maps, soound files, etc. That would allow room for expansion of the game in the future.
 
Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
srk999
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrigdriver View Post
Just a personal opinion, but wouldn't it be easier to have one DVD with the OS and the basic game (a few levels of play with sound files, maps, etc), and a companion DVD with additional maps, soound files, etc. That would allow room for expansion of the game in the future.
Hmm, I am really new to Linux live DVD stiff. the only reason I am using Linux is 'cos it's open source. From what you are saying, is it possible that you can just take out the DVD once the OS is loaded (you are at the desktop) and pop in the game DVD and start playing?
 
Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
bigrigdriver
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Jul 2002
Location: East Centra Illinois, USA
Distribution: Debian Squeeze
Posts: 5,784

Rep: Reputation: 311Reputation: 311Reputation: 311Reputation: 311
I see that I mis-understood your original question: I was thinking of *installing* a small OS with a large game; you were apparently thinking of booting up the computer with the liveDVD and playing the game. That changes my response. Look at Linux distros such as Damn Small Linux, Puppy, and other small distros (you can find a full list of all distros at distrowatch.com). There are several small distros that could fit on the DVD with the game.

But, I don't think you will like the result. LiveCD/DVD distros are slow compared to installed OSs because the files on CD/DVD are compressed and must be decompressed and loaded into RAM before you can use them. I am afraid the game will be slow, with infuriating pauses while files are decompressed/loaded.
 
Old 07-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
srk999
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrigdriver View Post
I see that I mis-understood your original question: I was thinking of *installing* a small OS with a large game; you were apparently thinking of booting up the computer with the liveDVD and playing the game. That changes my response. Look at Linux distros such as Damn Small Linux, Puppy, and other small distros (you can find a full list of all distros at distrowatch.com). There are several small distros that could fit on the DVD with the game.

But, I don't think you will like the result. LiveCD/DVD distros are slow compared to installed OSs because the files on CD/DVD are compressed and must be decompressed and loaded into RAM before you can use them. I am afraid the game will be slow, with infuriating pauses while files are decompressed/loaded.
Well, I am mainly inspired by LLGP, "http://live.linux-gamers.net/" etc. pioneers. But, for some reason, those projects just faded with time. I even remember playing quake 3 on "http://live.linux-gamers.net/" dvd. "http://live.linux-gamers.net/" is based on ArchLinux. I have tried to contact them with my question, but as I have said, they kinda faded. And the game I am trying to integrate is not heavier tahn quake 3 and many more on their DVD.
 
Old 07-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
knudfl
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Copenhagen, DK
Distribution: pclos2014.08, Slack14.1 DebWheezy, +50+ other Linux OS, for test only.
Posts: 13,947

Rep: Reputation: 2602Reputation: 2602Reputation: 2602Reputation: 2602Reputation: 2602Reputation: 2602Reputation: 2602Reputation: 2602Reputation: 2602Reputation: 2602Reputation: 2602
If you really want to make a DVD, why not use
a double layer one ? 8GB, isn't it ?

Rgds
 
Old 07-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
srk999
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by knudfl View Post
If you really want to make a DVD, why not use
a double layer one ? 8GB, isn't it ?

Rgds
Do you think size is the problem? It's not really the big problem at the moment. The problem is integrating a portable game into the desktop of the live boot.
 
  


Reply

Tags
dvd, linux, live


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: How not to release a live DVD game LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-24-2007 09:03 PM
Making a Game, anyone want to help? Newtonx Linux - Games 15 01-19-2007 04:49 AM
Best Game making software? Delano_Lucas Programming 3 10-15-2006 04:37 AM
pclinuxos and making a live dvd conanm4 Linux - Distributions 0 08-15-2006 01:36 PM
Is There a Game Making System for Linux? TheMusicGuy Linux - Software 4 04-09-2004 05:06 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration