LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Need help with making a custom live Linux dvd (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/need-help-with-making-a-custom-live-linux-dvd-654389/)

srk999 07-08-2008 04:27 PM

Need help with making a custom live Linux dvd
 
Hi, this is my first post here.
I need help with building a custom live Linux DVD that contains only one game (over 4GB).
That means the OS has to be considerably small to fit into a 4.7 GB dvd.
And the OS should have the widest support for sound and video hardwares to be able to play the game.
If someone wants to partner up with me to build this dvd that would be nice.
I have already compiled the whole game (opensource game) and it comes to about 4.1 GB at the moment. But farther updates over the years may increase its size.
It would be huge once the project is complete. The game is huge popular already, but it would be even bigger once it goes live.

bigrigdriver 07-08-2008 04:57 PM

Just a personal opinion, but wouldn't it be easier to have one DVD with the OS and the basic game (a few levels of play with sound files, maps, etc), and a companion DVD with additional maps, soound files, etc. That would allow room for expansion of the game in the future.

srk999 07-08-2008 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigrigdriver (Post 3208023)
Just a personal opinion, but wouldn't it be easier to have one DVD with the OS and the basic game (a few levels of play with sound files, maps, etc), and a companion DVD with additional maps, soound files, etc. That would allow room for expansion of the game in the future.

Hmm, I am really new to Linux live DVD stiff. the only reason I am using Linux is 'cos it's open source. From what you are saying, is it possible that you can just take out the DVD once the OS is loaded (you are at the desktop) and pop in the game DVD and start playing?

bigrigdriver 07-09-2008 02:17 PM

I see that I mis-understood your original question: I was thinking of *installing* a small OS with a large game; you were apparently thinking of booting up the computer with the liveDVD and playing the game. That changes my response. Look at Linux distros such as Damn Small Linux, Puppy, and other small distros (you can find a full list of all distros at distrowatch.com). There are several small distros that could fit on the DVD with the game.

But, I don't think you will like the result. LiveCD/DVD distros are slow compared to installed OSs because the files on CD/DVD are compressed and must be decompressed and loaded into RAM before you can use them. I am afraid the game will be slow, with infuriating pauses while files are decompressed/loaded.

srk999 07-09-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigrigdriver (Post 3209062)
I see that I mis-understood your original question: I was thinking of *installing* a small OS with a large game; you were apparently thinking of booting up the computer with the liveDVD and playing the game. That changes my response. Look at Linux distros such as Damn Small Linux, Puppy, and other small distros (you can find a full list of all distros at distrowatch.com). There are several small distros that could fit on the DVD with the game.

But, I don't think you will like the result. LiveCD/DVD distros are slow compared to installed OSs because the files on CD/DVD are compressed and must be decompressed and loaded into RAM before you can use them. I am afraid the game will be slow, with infuriating pauses while files are decompressed/loaded.

Well, I am mainly inspired by LLGP, "http://live.linux-gamers.net/" etc. pioneers. But, for some reason, those projects just faded with time. I even remember playing quake 3 on "http://live.linux-gamers.net/" dvd. "http://live.linux-gamers.net/" is based on ArchLinux. I have tried to contact them with my question, but as I have said, they kinda faded. And the game I am trying to integrate is not heavier tahn quake 3 and many more on their DVD.

knudfl 07-09-2008 03:16 PM

If you really want to make a DVD, why not use
a double layer one ? 8GB, isn't it ?

Rgds

srk999 07-09-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knudfl (Post 3209141)
If you really want to make a DVD, why not use
a double layer one ? 8GB, isn't it ?

Rgds

Do you think size is the problem? It's not really the big problem at the moment. The problem is integrating a portable game into the desktop of the live boot.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.