LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #46
rokyo
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2012
Posts: 74

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonearth View Post
That's cutting edge? GIMP installed in 20 seconds on my old laptop with Debian.
I think "cutting" and "bleeding" edge refers to the packages and how up-to-date they are and not how quick a system is, right?

Otherwise, Windows 7 would be like fountain-of-blood-like-bleeding. At least on my PC.
 
Old 05-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #47
guyonearth
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Location: USA
Distribution: SolydX
Posts: 399

Rep: Reputation: 82
Still not sure what the point of "cutting edge" is, then, if it's not faster, much less stable, and prone to not even boot. Doesn't sound very useful to me.
 
Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #48
rokyo
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2012
Posts: 74

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonearth View Post
Still not sure what the point of "cutting edge" is, then, if it's not faster, much less stable, and prone to not even boot. Doesn't sound very useful to me.
I think it's for the people who want to tinker with the latest stuff or have a special hardware setup, like NVIDIA Optimus for example, which is a pretty new feature from the latest kernel.

For stability, I'd always go with something like Debian or a Ubuntu LTS release. CentOS is also great for stability, but I think Ubuntu/Debian have more "Desktopy" features. I love my Kubuntu 12.04 for this.
 
Old 05-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #49
jens
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora
Posts: 1,239

Rep: Reputation: 178Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokyo View Post
I think it's for the people who want to tinker with the latest stuff or have a special hardware setup, like NVIDIA Optimus for example, which is a pretty new feature from the latest kernel.

For stability, I'd always go with something like Debian or a Ubuntu LTS release. CentOS is also great for stability, but I think Ubuntu/Debian have more "Desktopy" features. I love my Kubuntu 12.04 for this.
You could also just install a newer upstream kernel (very easy) on your stable system.

Other problem would be xorg-drivers (they work partly in userpace).
Almost all big distros support Bumblebee for Optimus though.

Debian example (notice that Wheezy will become the new stable this night):
http://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee
 
Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #50
guyonearth
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Location: USA
Distribution: SolydX
Posts: 399

Rep: Reputation: 82
Well, I like to tinker too, but I also need to have my computer working when I need it...I can't really afford to have the system go down and waste all the time fixing it again. Features are nice, but stability is critical.
 
Old 05-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #51
rokyo
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2012
Posts: 74

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonearth View Post
Well, I like to tinker too, but I also need to have my computer working when I need it...I can't really afford to have the system go down and waste all the time fixing it again. Features are nice, but stability is critical.
Exactly, that's why I have a multi-boot setup with Kubuntu LTS and CentOS for super-stability and a rolling-release distro on a different hard drive for the tinkering.

Another good way to test out new things which could break your system would be to install a distro in VirtualBox. That way, if you break something, it does not affect your working system at all.
 
Old 05-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #52
jv2112
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: New England
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 719

Rep: Reputation: 103Reputation: 103
Thumbs up

ARCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: conf.kde.in: Project Neon Returns With Bleeding Edge KDE Software LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-11-2011 06:41 PM
Most Bleeding-Edge and Full Control Distro P4lp4T1n3 Linux - Desktop 14 07-18-2010 10:09 AM
Best distro for bleeding edge software N_A_J_M Linux - Distributions 9 09-08-2007 05:40 PM
Good distro for bleeding edge tech PB0711 Linux - Distributions 5 08-28-2007 06:47 PM
Searching for bleeding edge and stable distro. scanmetender Linux - Distributions 17 12-29-2006 12:57 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration