I'm not [totally] a newbie when it comes to *NIX.. but I figured this forum was the best fit for my thread. Lemme explain:
I have a year or more's experience dealing with *BSD and Linux systems, but only on a server level. I do a lot of remote administration, etc.. so basically, I've never used a NIX environment for home use. Also, I've never installed one from scratch.
This being said, I need some advice. I just built my box, and I have a while before all the parts come in. Since I've never dealt with installs, I need to know if there's anything in particular I should know/choose/not choose. Here's my hardware setup:
- AMD XP 2500+ w/ Barton core and 333 MHz FSB
- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Mobo w/ Nforce2, Raid, LAN, onboard sound, etc.
- Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420
- IBM Deskstar HDD (60 gig) ATA/100
- Will be using both dialup and cable modem (I'm moving over the summer)
- Currently using a Samsung SyncMaster 955DF 19'' monitor, will eventually switch to a flat panel
Any advice is appreciated, as I don't know anything about how the different distros handle monitors/mouses/video cards.. I've never had to bother with them
Also, Linux or BSD first-time? I'm familiar with both, but this will be a home use computer. I'm also a moderate gamer, if that helps. Thanks again