LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #61
ButterflyMelissa
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere on my hard drive...
Distribution: Manjaro
Posts: 2,699
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405

Thanks for the invitation! I'll make use of that, a good chat is always a good thing these days...
In fact, unles the moderators get involved, we can keep this thread open as wel...

Be watchin' this thread!



Thor
 
Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #62
briandc
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Italy
Distribution: KXStudio, Bodhi Linux, AntiX, Mint
Posts: 91

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Yes, it's getting to be quite a long thread, too!

Here's a neat discovery: Linux in a stick! http://www.getstudio1337.com/features-2/

You have to purchase it, but the concept is interesting. Just plug it into a PC and boot!

brian
 
Old 09-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #63
ButterflyMelissa
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere on my hard drive...
Distribution: Manjaro
Posts: 2,699
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405
Quote:
Yes, it's getting to be quite a long thread, too!
Hene, never mind that, if it's buggin' someone, they'll let us know

Quote:
Here's a neat discovery: Linux in a stick! http://www.getstudio1337.com/features-2/
Even more interesting: boot from an Ubuntu live CD, put a stick in the machine and make a boot disk (admionistrative tasks I guess), then, when done, you'de got a bootable device...for free....
Of course, if that price includes some support, then it is a great tip...

By the way, guess what, I need some feedback. What are you using as soft synth and that can be tuned? I used amsynth, but it's detuned with the rest of the gear, about half (little less even) a tone lower, I cannot "reach" the same tone by tuning the other synth, and amsynth does'nt seem to be able to tune...
Any ideas?

Thor
 
Old 09-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #64
briandc
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Italy
Distribution: KXStudio, Bodhi Linux, AntiX, Mint
Posts: 91

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor_2.0 View Post
Hene, never mind that, if it's buggin' someone, they'll let us know



Even more interesting: boot from an Ubuntu live CD, put a stick in the machine and make a boot disk (admionistrative tasks I guess), then, when done, you'de got a bootable device...for free....
Of course, if that price includes some support, then it is a great tip...

By the way, guess what, I need some feedback. What are you using as soft synth and that can be tuned? I used amsynth, but it's detuned with the rest of the gear, about half (little less even) a tone lower, I cannot "reach" the same tone by tuning the other synth, and amsynth does'nt seem to be able to tune...
Any ideas?

Thor
Sorry for the unpardonably-long delay in responding!
Actually, amSynth can be detuned a bit by keeping the LFO at minimum, and then cranking the pitch adjustment (just to the right).
But I don't think that's what you're looking for..

There are several linux-based synths; you might want to start with Yoshimi. (make sure you have Jack installed) If I remember correctly there's a master tune knob right on the main page.

Depending on what type of sounds you want, Phasex might work too, but I can't remember for sure. The main tuning should be on the left side of the screen.

Another really cool synth with lots of power, is WhySynth. The main tuning should be (I think) on the last page, or where general configurations are.

Let me know what you learn..

brian
 
Old 09-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #65
ButterflyMelissa
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere on my hard drive...
Distribution: Manjaro
Posts: 2,699
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405
Quote:
Actually, amSynth can be detuned a bit by keeping the LFO at minimum, and then cranking the pitch adjustment (just to the right).
But I don't think that's what you're looking for..
Well, this is just what I needed, and with the tuning capabilities of the hardware synth, I could get them to the same tone...now I know how a marriage consultant feels

I tried Yoshimi...umm, how does that one get started up? I tried to connect but I cannot find him in the connection panel...eh, maybe I did'nt look hard enuff...
I started mx44...and stopped it. Looks cool but deviates too much from what I started out with, something along those lines...not a Korg (could'nt afford it!) but there were synths that basically were "plugs-n-knobs" with a keyboard. So, amSynth comes eerily close

I had the old this-n-that reinstated...maybe (time permitting) some music next?

Glad to exchange some ideas!

Thor
 
Old 10-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #66
briandc
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Italy
Distribution: KXStudio, Bodhi Linux, AntiX, Mint
Posts: 91

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor_2.0 View Post
Well, this is just what I needed, and with the tuning capabilities of the hardware synth, I could get them to the same tone...now I know how a marriage consultant feels

I tried Yoshimi...umm, how does that one get started up? I tried to connect but I cannot find him in the connection panel...eh, maybe I did'nt look hard enuff...
I started mx44...and stopped it. Looks cool but deviates too much from what I started out with, something along those lines...not a Korg (could'nt afford it!) but there were synths that basically were "plugs-n-knobs" with a keyboard. So, amSynth comes eerily close

I had the old this-n-that reinstated...maybe (time permitting) some music next?

Glad to exchange some ideas!

Thor
See? I wrote back sooner this time!

Nice Korg! If you want something modular, and if you have ALSA installed (I'm sure you do) you can install the Alsa Modular synth (should be in synaptic). That one is the "additive" style, adding an oscillator, filter, etc.

With Yoshimi, you need to install Jack. (Install QJackCtl also, and if you have an external MIDI keyboard to use, install a2jmidid also.)
Then open QJackCtl, and click on "settings." You'll see a panel with four pages. On the second page (I think) you'll see a line that says "script after startup." In the space beside it, type

Code:
a2jmidid -e &
Then close the window. If Jack is running, click "stop." If it isn't running yet, click "play."
When you attach your MIDI keyboard, then go into settings again, and look on the right hand side. You'll see an input and output device selector. Your keyboard should appear in the input selector, select that.
When you close the window you'll have to stop and start QJack again.

At this point, you can click "connections" and a window will appear. You should see your keyboard appear in the MIDI section.
Then open Yoshimi. It should appear in the MIDI section, too. Click your keyboard, then click Yoshimi, then click "connect."
Then go into the "audio" tab, and connect Yoshimi with your audio system master on the right.

You should be good to go!

Let me know if this helps..

brian
 
Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #67
ButterflyMelissa
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere on my hard drive...
Distribution: Manjaro
Posts: 2,699
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405
Quote:
See? I wrote back sooner this time!
Hehe - no rush, let's take this nice and laid back...I'n just enjoying this thread for the conversation of it...

amSynth is exactly what I was looking for, I should stick to it...
Next step: torture the machine (yes, I need a hobby... ) - this is the plan:

- start jack
- start qtractor
- fire up the synth (a DK80 in my case)
- hook stuff up in the connection panel jack provides
- add a track in qtracktor and a clip
- once in pianoroll mode, click away to make a fairly decent sequence, let it loop
- twiddle with the synth somewhat
- record, even if it does'nt sound like anything decent

Hehe, there, that would be cool, if the PC in question is strong enough... :/



I got everything up and running, now I have to get grips of Yoshimi... But, all in goot time

Thor
 
Old 10-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #68
briandc
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Italy
Distribution: KXStudio, Bodhi Linux, AntiX, Mint
Posts: 91

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor_2.0 View Post
Hehe - no rush, let's take this nice and laid back...I'n just enjoying this thread for the conversation of it...

amSynth is exactly what I was looking for, I should stick to it...
Next step: torture the machine (yes, I need a hobby... ) - this is the plan:

- start jack
- start qtractor
- fire up the synth (a DK80 in my case)
- hook stuff up in the connection panel jack provides
- add a track in qtracktor and a clip
- once in pianoroll mode, click away to make a fairly decent sequence, let it loop
- twiddle with the synth somewhat
- record, even if it does'nt sound like anything decent

Hehe, there, that would be cool, if the PC in question is strong enough... :/



I got everything up and running, now I have to get grips of Yoshimi... But, all in goot time

Thor
Looks good.
Have you tried Yoshimi yet? In order to get the preset banks, you have to go into "settings" I think.. look for where it talks about root banks. Anyway, you'll need to go to usr/share/Yoshimi in order to see the banks. Once you've made that path, then when you open the banks and click "refresh" they will appear. Some are very nice indeed! Amazing synth.

WhySynth is another beast to tame. About 150 wave-type options for each of the 4 oscillators!!!

brian
 
Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #69
ButterflyMelissa
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere on my hard drive...
Distribution: Manjaro
Posts: 2,699
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405
Hey...this WhySynth looks like a neat toy. What I may have to do (with all of this stuff) is set up a newer PC (faster, more ram and what have you) to accomodate for this software...I notice that the current one barely gets things done...

Yoshimi remains a study point....but, that's for this weekend

Thor
 
Old 11-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #70
briandc
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Italy
Distribution: KXStudio, Bodhi Linux, AntiX, Mint
Posts: 91

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor_2.0 View Post
Hey...this WhySynth looks like a neat toy. What I may have to do (with all of this stuff) is set up a newer PC (faster, more ram and what have you) to accomodate for this software...I notice that the current one barely gets things done...

Yoshimi remains a study point....but, that's for this weekend

Thor
Sorry for the delay again!
I think as far as RAM goes, 1GB is already good. If you have 2GB, it's probably superfluous..

The CPU is another story. If it's an older PC (more than say 8 years old) then it's probably time to upgrade..

How are Yoshimi and WhySynth working for you?
Try Hexter, too. It now has patch editing capabilities, and you can find a universe of sounds for it here:

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7858

Keep me posted!

brian
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to set up realtime audio, Mandriva 2009.0, Ardour, qjackctl, UA-25EX edirole. GlennsPref Mandriva 2 01-26-2009 11:32 PM
problem with audio in jack Ma Peche Linux - Software 1 03-15-2008 06:02 AM
qjackctl - "Could not connect to JACK server as client" oskar Linux - Software 2 07-09-2007 09:51 PM
Rosegarden, jack, qjackctl error: "can't connect to server as client" deep_inda_jungl Mandriva 3 02-20-2007 11:45 PM
Linux Audio: Connecting Rosegarden to Ardour via qjackctl? mikejedw Linux - Software 0 08-19-2004 02:01 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration