.aspx links in my browser are wrongly saved as files
Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Go to Preferences in firefox, and click on the applications tab. Double check to make sure that the asp and aspx file extensions are not set. If you still have the problem, you could always create a blank .aspx file within your file manager, right click, the click on "open with" and tell it to ask every time.
I think the point is that "aspx" should not appear in the list in the "Applications" tab, because it means Firefox thinks those files are things that must be handled by external programs. I'm not sure how to remove it from the list, though. I did find this, that you might like to try. Edit: If that doesn't help, I'd try creating a new profile.
I installed the "User Agent Switcher" extension. But, I don't understand the purpose of this extension. What is an "User Agent" and why switch it? In the settings there are options for Internet Explorer and IPhone. Nothing about Firefox. And I can't find any manual for the extension.
Originally Posted by Nylex
Edit: If that doesn't help, I'd try creating a new profile.
I tried this also. But it didn't help. Still, every time I click on an .aspx link a window pops up questioning me how to open up the file type.
The user agent is how your browser is identified to websites. The switcher extension is for, well, switching that identification which is useful for some sites that claim to not support certain browsers. Come to think of it, I'm not sure now why that's supposed to be relevant for that problem.
I'm also out of suggestions, I'm afraid. If people here are unable to help you, then I'd try the Mozilla forums here.
I installed the Firefox add-on UAControl. With this add-on it's possible to prevent Firefox from sending User Agent information. It's possible to block this for specific sites. This I did. Now, all aspx-links on sverigesradio.se opens up.
sverigesradio.se is the Swedish Radio public service. It's strange their site doesn't work on Firefox Linux.