Hello again everyone. I just finished installing Slackware 8.1 and I have a long list of questions, sorry to throw them all at you at once. If you could at least answer one or two, I'd appreciate it!
The first few questions have to do with LILO.
1. I went through the LILO expert install in setup, and selected a graphical mode, but now when I boot up I get a "LILO 2.22" at the bottom of the screen that stays there no matter what I hit, then starts loading Linux 5 seconds later (what I chose). How do I go to configure this and how can I get it back to normal?
2. Trend Chipawayvirus is detecting a boot virus since I installed LILO on my MBR. A warning comes up every time I reboot. How can I get rid of this message/fix this?
Ok, now for the rest of them:
3. I went with the default bare.i kernal when installing. I have downloaded the 5 MB or so newest stable kernel at www.kernel.org.
What is the process I need to go through to install it, and how important is it that I install it?
4. I set my default desktop environment as XFCE (since KDE and Gnome were running too slowly). How do I configure my modem to get online under this environment? Also how can I change the background color of the prompt, the bright white is hard on the eyes.
BTW if anyone was wondering, the reason why it was slow before is that for some reason my CPU speed was set back down to 166 Mhz from the 450 it is (I thought it was 550, its really 450). However, the temperature rises too much when I set it above 200 Mhz. In BIOS it says that the fan is disconnected, but when I opened up the case it was running, so I'm not sure whats happening. At this point I'm running at 200 Mhz.
5. Under RedHat there were .bashrc files in the /root and ~ directories that I could export my PS1 variable to set the prompt. I don't see these under the Slackware install. Can I create a .bashrc file in those places and make it simply:
and it will work? Or do I need to do something else?
I'm sure I'll think of more questions later, but I'll leave it at that.
Oh yeah, one last question. Are there any tips anyone can give me for things to do after the installation. Anything helpful to do or things I'm forgetting?
Wait, one more
Every once in a while, when restarting or at various times, the CD tray will eject without anything in it. This can happen when rebooting or going into Linux or at the login prompt or anywhere. Any reason why it could be doing this?
Ok, I promise I'm stopping now