Linux - NetworkingThis forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have the following problem under Mandrake Linux 9.2 / 10.0
I can't connect to the Internet, because eth0 and also eth1 won't initialize on boot-up.
Both NIC's have a Realtek 8139 chip.
I have tried the following to solve the problem:
-The alias for both cards in modules.conf are 8139too, I replaced them with 8139cp, no result.
-I put 8139too and 8139cp in modprobe.preload, no result.
-Since I obtain a dynamic IP from my ISP, I tried to use DHCPCD, again without succes.
-ifconfig does seem to recognize my NIC, but it does not report any traffic whatsoever.
Since I'm relatively new to Linux,so I'm actually without a clue on how to solve my problem. I have
looked up similar problems on different websites and forums, but nothing seems to work.
(PS. I have no problems in connecting to the Internet under SuSE 9.0)
If anyone could help me solve this issue, I would be very gratefull.
Should you require any additional information, please let me know.
I thank you for reading my post.
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
768 MB RAM
Nvidia Geforce MX440
NIC RTL8139 PCI (eth1)
NIC RTL8139 in Mainboard.(eth0)
ECS K7VTA3 5.0 Mainboard
Where are you getting your IP from? Is it a cable modem or DSL router? Do you know the IP of the device your computer connects to? What do the 2 files look like in Suse? Or did you overwrite the suse install? Why do you have 2 NIC cards?
Try adding this line to /etc/sysconfig/network then restart the network and see what happens.
I recieve my dynamic IP from a Motorola Cable Modem. I don't know the IP of the device I connect to.
I have 2 NIC's because I used to route internet from my Window$ computer, to another computer. But since I have developed some sort of grudge against the forementioned "OS", I wanted to use an alternative OS.
However, I plan to remove the second NIC, because I'm planning to get an ADSL connection with a Multi-PC modem. As for SuSE, it stopped connecting to the internet, since I put the second NIC in my computer. (I found out yesterday).
The strange thing is however, that even without the second NIC, Mandrake 9.2 and Mandrake 10.0 still failed to initialize eth0.
I will post the output in the network files under SuSE later on this day, as well as the results of adding the line. (I'm not behind my own computer right now.)
PS: I always install an OS, after removing all the partitions on my harddisk. (except when I make it a dual-boot system)
Well, I got rid of the connection problem in SuSE.
The second NIC caused some sort of problem, I guess. I removed it and now Internet is working fine again under SuSE. As a matter of fact, I'm viewing this using Konqueror. I also got rid of my USB problem under SuSE, by loading several USB modules before YAST initialized. Sorry...I'm little off-topic.
I've solved it disable network hotplugging on the interface using mandrake control centre => network/internet => manage connections => Options Tab. Not sure which config file it is doesn't seem to appear in eth0 cfg file