LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software > Linux - Kernel
User Name
Password
Linux - Kernel This forum is for all discussion relating to the Linux kernel.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2007, 05:22 AM   #1
sinister1
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 70

Rep: Reputation: 15
kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt


Hello,


Since a few weeks we have the following problem:

Once in a while our hda (Operating System disc) becomes Read Only.

After a reboot the filesystem is writable again.

In logs there are a few errors:

kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
BUG: warning at arch/i386/kernel/smp.c:547/smp_call_function()

i have checked different forums but with no concrete result.

Can anyone help me..

Thanks

Jaap
 
Old 09-26-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
ramram29
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Miami, Florida, USA
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 848
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 47
Looks like you have a problem with smp (symmetric multiprocessing). You can add the following to the kernel stanza in grub 'nosmp'. Restart and test try again. Your os is being mounted readonly because /etc/fstab is configured to mount it that way when there is a problem.
 
Old 09-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
sinister1
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 70

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram29 View Post
Looks like you have a problem with smp (symmetric multiprocessing). You can add the following to the kernel stanza in grub 'nosmp'. Restart and test try again. Your os is being mounted readonly because /etc/fstab is configured to mount it that way when there is a problem.
Oke thanks for replying.

i am looking in the /boot/grub/menu.lst so where do i have to put nosmp?

It's a production server so it's a little bit hard to reboot. i will try in the evening and let you know what the result is.

Last edited by sinister1; 09-26-2007 at 10:13 AM.
 
Old 09-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
TheDirtyScreech
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 42

Rep: Reputation: 15
It should go on the grub line starting with "kernel." If you have a simple kernel line, it may look something like this:

Code:
...
title=Your linux flavor
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz
initrd /boot/initrd
...
You would want to change it to look like this:
Code:
...
title=Your Linux flavor
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz nosmp
initrd /boot/initrd
...
-TDS-
 
Old 09-27-2007, 02:43 AM   #5
sinister1
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 70

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtyScreech View Post
It should go on the grub line starting with "kernel." If you have a simple kernel line, it may look something like this:

Code:
...
title=Your linux flavor
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz
initrd /boot/initrd
...
You would want to change it to look like this:
Code:
...
title=Your Linux flavor
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz nosmp
initrd /boot/initrd
...
-TDS-
Oke thanks.


I've edditted the menu.lst and put nosmp in it.

Now i have to plan a downtime for this reboot.

thanks everyone.
 
Old 09-27-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
TheDirtyScreech
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 42

Rep: Reputation: 15
Just to clarify and make sure you know what's happening, the "nosmp" option is disabling symmetric multi-processing. This won't matter if your running one CPU, but if your rocking two or more CPUs (multi-cores included), you'll essentially be limiting your machine to one.

If you're fine with only one CPU, booting with nosmp everytime won't matter (conversely, you should be able to just disable SMP in the kernel config and rebuild the kernel). If you need/want the other CPUs (assuming your hardware actually has other CPUs), you should only be booting this "nosmp" option to test for a while to confirm that smp.c is really the problem (should be according to your error messages). You'll then want to fix the problem (upgrading kernel source and recompiling your kernel should do it) and reboot with smp enabled.

I wasn't sure if you knew the full consequences of this solution, so sorry if I just wasted your time.

-TDS-
 
Old 09-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #7
sinister1
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 70

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtyScreech View Post
Just to clarify and make sure you know what's happening, the "nosmp" option is disabling symmetric multi-processing. This won't matter if your running one CPU, but if your rocking two or more CPUs (multi-cores included), you'll essentially be limiting your machine to one.

If you're fine with only one CPU, booting with nosmp everytime won't matter (conversely, you should be able to just disable SMP in the kernel config and rebuild the kernel). If you need/want the other CPUs (assuming your hardware actually has other CPUs), you should only be booting this "nosmp" option to test for a while to confirm that smp.c is really the problem (should be according to your error messages). You'll then want to fix the problem (upgrading kernel source and recompiling your kernel should do it) and reboot with smp enabled.

I wasn't sure if you knew the full consequences of this solution, so sorry if I just wasted your time.

-TDS-
Wasting my time, i think not!

Great that you are taking the time to explain it to me.

Our server has only 1 cpu and last week i upgraded our kernel but probably with smp enabled.

so thanks for your messages. I am going to test and let you know the results.

Sinister1
 
  


Reply

Tags
exception, fatal, interrupt, kernel, panic, syncing


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad EIP value/<0>Kernel panic - not syncing :Fatal exception in interrupt/Freespire AmericanNightmare Linux - Kernel 7 08-31-2009 08:42 PM
kernel panic - not syncing : fatal exception upon boot up mystavros Linux - Enterprise 2 10-24-2007 06:04 AM
Kernel panic: Fatal exception in interrupt Shortee Mandriva 19 03-20-2005 01:38 PM
FC2 Kernel Panic fatal exception in interrupt beardflute Fedora 6 09-11-2004 12:10 PM
Kernel panic: Fatal exception in interrupt dickmobbis Fedora 0 07-15-2004 12:16 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration