I had the exact same problem with this el-cheapo print server. I performed the following:
1. Updated the firmware (although it did say it was 2.81, I did it anyway)
2. Used Firefox to access the address via the web. Made sure I could talk to the little best (i.e. the airlink101 apsusb1)
3. I set my properties up as follows:
a. Printer Type: = HP jetDirect (even though I'm not even close to using an HP printer or an HP driver than emulates HP)
b. Host: = IP address (static previously setup in my router as 192.168.0.197 and 192.168.0.198)
c. Port: = 9100
I was successful in getting a Brother HL-1240 and a Samsung ML-1430 to talk via this method over the two Airlink 101 APSUSB1 print servers I own.
1 Microsnot XP box
, 3 Ubuntu/Edubuntu/Kubuntu
Currently using OpenOffice without any issues on both printers.
Hope this helps!