Linux - GeneralThis Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
Whenever I copy programming files from windows XP to Fedora 11, leading spaces are being added to a number of the lines in the files. I am using mercurial for revision control and it is coming back and telling me that all the files in the repositories have been modified because of this.
What tools are you using to create and copy the files, also to read on Linux?
It sounds like a tab char is converting to an equiv num of spaces.
Have you also allowed for the different line ending conventions?
In MS it's <CR><LF>, in *nix it's just <LF>, hence the dos2unix and unix2dos tools.
Yeah I think you are right about the tabbing changing to spaces. I use netbeans for my IDE, and I just copied them from one hard drive to another. The weird thing though is that the formatting is getting messed up before I ever open the file. Right once I copy the file to Fedora, mercurial see's a problem.
Ok I think I fixed the formatting issue. In netbeans I made the tabbed space be the same as the indent space for both windows and linux. I believe that linux reads the tabbed spaces differently.
However, mercurial is still coming back and telling me that every file has been modified, but it does not show that there are any changes in any of the files. It seems as if the binary code of the file is being changed, but its not affecting the format. Why would the binary code of the file change across platforms?
Just to let anyone know who is having this problem. I found that if you FTP your repo's from the windows machine in binary mode to a server, and then FTP them to your linux machine, it fixes this issue. Thanks to everyone that tried to help.
I actually think that FTPing the files would be easier then going through all of my folders and trying to fix all the files. I have alot of files to keep up with, so it just seems easier to FTP the whole folder and be done with it.
Also, as I said before. I fixed the spacing issues with Netbeans. The problem Im still having is that Mercurial is saying all of my files have been modified, but they dont show any changes, which I believe nowonmai may be right about the last modified data changing. I just have no idea how I would get Mercurial to not pay attention to this, or why it would make any difference when I copy it from Windows to Linux.
Last edited by Metropolis; 07-31-2009 at 11:25 PM.