LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
android6011
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Posts: 255

Rep: Reputation: 30
what distros have compiz-fusion out of box?


WHat current distros have compiz-fusion out of box?

To my knowledge Ubuntu Gutsy and Fedora 8 do, is this true and what other ones do? also, i dont mind using a distribution that is in testing if it has support so please list those also. thanks
 
Old 11-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
AceofSpades19
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Chilliwack,BC.Canada
Distribution: Slackware64 -current
Posts: 2,079

Rep: Reputation: 57
I belive Mandriva has compiz-fusion as well
 
Old 11-14-2007, 03:45 AM   #3
KumoriJinsoku
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Distribution: Fedora Core 5
Posts: 12

Rep: Reputation: 0
PCLinuxOS has Compiz-Fusion right out of the box.

Sad thing is I can't give a review on if it works as I'm on a laptop that's using an unsupported nVidia card (7200 GeForce Go = no Linux drivers on the manufacturer's website).
 
Old 11-14-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
lefthanded
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 24

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KumoriJinsoku View Post
PCLinuxOS has Compiz-Fusion right out of the box.

Sad thing is I can't give a review on if it works as I'm on a laptop that's using an unsupported nVidia card (7200 GeForce Go = no Linux drivers on the manufacturer's website).
There's only one 32bit linux driver for a variety of cards on Nvidia's website. Did you try installing that, maybe it works with your card?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...100.14.19.html
 
Old 11-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
b0uncer
Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Distribution: CentOS, OS X
Posts: 5,131

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
There's only one 32bit linux driver for a variety of cards on Nvidia's website. Did you try installing that, maybe it works with your card?
The supported cards are listed (separately), as far as I know, and when you go downloading the file you're asked which card you have. Even if all the selections would lead to downloading the same file, it would still support only those cards listed (or if it supported other hardware as well, or didn't support something it should, it would be a somewhat stupid move from nVidia). I don't recommend trying a 3dfx graphics card driver for some card that it's not said to work with (by the manufacturer), because even for supported cards the installation may fail and lead to some work to get the system "reverted" back to a properly working state. Therefore trying to install the driver, with a high probability of it failing, would very probably just cause trouble - if the system is working all right and there's no burning need for 3d acc., I suggest not to try it. And if there is, why not pay for hardware that is known to work..
 
Old 11-16-2007, 01:30 AM   #6
KumoriJinsoku
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Distribution: Fedora Core 5
Posts: 12

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0uncer View Post
The supported cards are listed (separately), as far as I know, and when you go downloading the file you're asked which card you have. Even if all the selections would lead to downloading the same file, it would still support only those cards listed (or if it supported other hardware as well, or didn't support something it should, it would be a somewhat stupid move from nVidia). I don't recommend trying a 3dfx graphics card driver for some card that it's not said to work with (by the manufacturer), because even for supported cards the installation may fail and lead to some work to get the system "reverted" back to a properly working state. Therefore trying to install the driver, with a high probability of it failing, would very probably just cause trouble - if the system is working all right and there's no burning need for 3d acc., I suggest not to try it. And if there is, why not pay for hardware that is known to work..
Agreed. Sadly, I did want the ability to have the eye candy of Compiz-Fusion and Beryl but in the end, I need my laptop more and more for school and work rather than games.

Not to say I'm still going to get Steam and Counter Strike... :P
 
Old 11-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
davecs
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Dagenham, Essex, Britain
Distribution: PCLinuxOS
Posts: 485

Rep: Reputation: 31
PCLinuxOS does not have Compiz-Fusion out of the box, it still has Beryl and the older Compiz on the live CD. If you install and run synaptic and update everything, then you will get Compiz-Fusion.

If you have a 3D graphics card that requires a proprietary driver from Nvidia or ATi, they are available also using Synaptic, and advice as to which one to use is available at the forum.

It is hoped that an updated iso will be out soon, and this will have compiz-fusion.
 
Old 11-18-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
telefox
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2005
Distribution: fedora
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
If your looking for eye candy I think sabayon os the way to go.The install cd boots as an install or live(mini).It has a generous supplies of drivers so it should support whatever your running,and comes with beryl and compiz-fusion
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to start Compiz Fusion? ishuaia Linux - Software 5 11-20-2008 07:04 PM
Compiz Fusion problem phantom_cyph Linux - Software 4 11-05-2007 10:54 PM
Compiz-Fusion help tekgek Linux - Desktop 10 10-24-2007 10:39 PM
compiz fusion question Bill_Blessing Suse/Novell 0 10-10-2007 09:26 PM
compiz fusion plugins BCarey Slackware 5 08-04-2007 03:26 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration