Happened again! I was away from the machine for ~30 hours. Symptoms:
- Left the machine by clicking Desktop > Lock Screen
- Keyboard frozen, CapsLock light on but not responding
- Screen black (signal reaching the monitor, just black) My screen saver is black screen w/no power managment w/screen lock, so it looked like how I left it
- HD LED light NOT flashing, not being used
- CDROM will open. I had a blank CD in so it wasn't mounted
- Network card LED light on & flashing occasionally, like normal
- a slow bittorrent (all four FC4 cds) was stopped midway through... should have been done about 20 hours previous, but the speed might have slowed while I was gone.
While it was still on (and black), I captured network packets on a different machine using Ethereal.. though, now I know that isn't terribly helpful when plugged into a switch.
Any webpages I should read? Any more clever way to use Etherreal in the future? (for example, connecting the cable to a different machine with the same local IP?)
I don't know what to search for, and I don't even know what the problem might be. Is there a way I can tell if it's a kernel freeze? I strongly doubt intrusion, but ya never know.
Correction: I was away from the machine for about 38 hours. Looking at /var/log/messages, the lock happened between 35 and 34 hours ago, so the bittorrent had no way to finish by that time. I was going full speed until the freeze.