LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > 2014 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards
User Name
Password
2014 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards This forum is for the 2014 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards.
You can now vote for your favorite products of 2014. This is your chance to be heard! Voting ends on February 3rd.


Notices


View Poll Results: VoIP Application of the Year
Blink Qt 2 1.21%
Ekiga 12 7.27%
Empathy 3 1.82%
Jitsi 12 7.27%
KPhone 4 2.42%
Linphone 15 9.09%
Mangler 1 0.61%
Mumble 20 12.12%
opensoftphone 0 0%
QuteCom 1 0.61%
SFLphone 2 1.21%
Skype 76 46.06%
TeamSpeak 6 3.64%
Twinkle 0 0%
Viber 11 6.67%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 12,357

Rep: Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262
VoIP Application of the Year


A fairly new category that had a runaway winner last year. I'd be interested in hearing feedback on this category.

--jeremy
 
Old 12-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
wayward4now
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Distribution: Debian Sid
Posts: 67

Rep: Reputation: 7
Sorry, I am on HughesNet. My old POS cell phone is enough of a distraction for me. No vote for less intrusion.
 
Old 12-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
Ian_Hawdon
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Heddon on-the-wall, northumberland, england
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 323

Rep: Reputation: 34
No Viber?
 
Old 12-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 12,357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262
Viber has been added.

--jeremy
 
Old 12-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
rokytnji
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 17 , ChromeOS
Posts: 5,077
Blog Entries: 20

Rep: Reputation: 2337Reputation: 2337Reputation: 2337Reputation: 2337Reputation: 2337Reputation: 2337Reputation: 2337Reputation: 2337Reputation: 2337Reputation: 2337Reputation: 2337
Used to use Jitsi. Moved on the Mumble this year.
 
Old 12-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
sbolokanov
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Location: абвг
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 84

Rep: Reputation: 18
No Tox?

Last edited by sbolokanov; 12-27-2014 at 05:37 AM.
 
Old 12-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 12,357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262Reputation: 3262
Tox is in the Messaging Application of the Year category.

--jeremy
 
Old 01-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #8
average_user
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2010
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 192

Rep: Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbolokanov View Post
No Tox?
Tox would care gain much more popularity if its VOIP features worked on Android. At the moment what only works on Android is (from https://github.com/Astonex/Antox):

Quote:
Basic messaging - this does not include group chats
File transfers
I would really like to see Tox making a success and replacing Skype even amongst casual users. I have run utox on two desktop machines at home, video and sound was good but mobile devices are equally important, or maybe even more important than desktops these days.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:02 AM   #9
Flymo
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Location: Often travelling
Distribution: Bodhi Linux 2/3 , Puppy, Knoppix, SliTaz, Raspbian, Kali
Posts: 68

Rep: Reputation: 16
Sadly, we still use Skype, mostly...

Problem is, our rellies are mostly only just capable of using stuff they already know, and Skype was the leader for a long time.
<sigh>

I keep having a half-hearted go at FOSS alternatives, but it's been a year since my last campaign. So
there's a resolution for 2015!
Then an elderly (or just young and idle) relative wants to set up a Skype call, and we succumb.
I'm gradually using up my remaining Skype credit (purchased pre-Micro$oft).
Can't bear to think of sending them money, or leaving them with any of mine.

Quality has deteriorated from 'pretty good' with frequent successful 2-way video calls pre-M$ to:
"Hello.... hello... HELLO!........... Dammit!"
....and no successful 2-way video, ever.
Not any more.
That's on faster hardware and _much_ faster internet links than the manky ones we used
to use years ago when Skype was younger and more vigorous.

So I won't be voting for Skype. It's been deteriorating gradually since the takeover.

Please point me at something that's easy to get set up on our relative's machine(s), with the ability to call landlines for a fee like 'Skype Out' does.
Something with a simple walk-through tutorial would help!

I've had Ekiga and something else... err... Linphone? Empathy? ...running on our stuff a couple of times now. It seemed fine, but getting the paid landline call thing going was a pain when I tried it, which is a pity. Probably my fault. < s i g h >

Last edited by Flymo; 01-07-2015 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Typos, typos...
 
Old 01-17-2015, 01:17 AM   #10
gotfw
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Posts: 416

Rep: Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
Sadly, we still use Skype, mostly...

Problem is, our rellies are mostly only just capable of using stuff they already know, and Skype was the leader for a long time.
<sigh>

I keep having a half-hearted go at FOSS alternatives, but it's been a year since my last campaign. So
there's a resolution for 2015!
Then an elderly (or just young and idle) relative wants to set up a Skype call, and we succumb.
I'm gradually using up my remaining Skype credit (purchased pre-Micro$oft).
Can't bear to think of sending them money, or leaving them with any of mine.

Quality has deteriorated from 'pretty good' with frequent successful 2-way video calls pre-M$ to:
"Hello.... hello... HELLO!........... Dammit!"
....and no successful 2-way video, ever.
Not any more.
That's on faster hardware and _much_ faster internet links than the manky ones we used
to use years ago when Skype was younger and more vigorous.

So I won't be voting for Skype. It's been deteriorating gradually since the takeover.

Please point me at something that's easy to get set up on our relative's machine(s), with the ability to call landlines for a fee like 'Skype Out' does.
Something with a simple walk-through tutorial would help!

I've had Ekiga and something else... err... Linphone? Empathy? ...running on our stuff a couple of times now. It seemed fine, but getting the paid landline call thing going was a pain when I tried it, which is a pity. Probably my fault. < s i g h >
Tox. Young and not quite there yet, but I think usable. And not spyware/malware. I mean Skype is constantly sending packet home. Encrypted packets. Even when you're not using it. Ever wonder why?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:56 PM   #11
sgosnell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Baja Oklahoma
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,054

Rep: Reputation: 277Reputation: 277Reputation: 277
I use Google Hangouts. Quality is excellent, far better than Skype.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #12
slappisMekaniker
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Location: The Blue planet
Distribution: Slackware 14.0
Posts: 64

Rep: Reputation: 6
I use google hangouts and facebook voip program though I am not an avid user of voip
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #13
average_user
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2010
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 192

Rep: Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
I use Google Hangouts. Quality is excellent, far better than Skype.
How about video?
 
Old 01-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #14
sgosnell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Baja Oklahoma
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,054

Rep: Reputation: 277Reputation: 277Reputation: 277
Video and audio quality are both superior. I wouldn't even consider installing Skype now.
 
Old 01-20-2015, 12:21 AM   #15
gotfw
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Posts: 416

Rep: Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
Video and audio quality are both superior. I wouldn't even consider installing Skype now.
And I wouldn't even consider using this either - the Goog has become pretty evil, tracking all your bases! Plugged directly into the NSA. Or I should say that the other way, but you get my point.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VoIP Application of the Year jeremy 2013 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards 16 02-10-2014 07:19 AM
VoIP Application of the Year jeremy 2012 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards 19 02-04-2013 06:09 PM
VoIP Application of the Year jeremy 2011 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards 34 02-18-2012 05:04 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration