LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - ARM
User Name
Password
Slackware - ARM This forum is for the discussion of Slackware ARM.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #61
Exaga
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 135

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmozes View Post
It's a shame really. You could have had RPi support in the Kernel already, but I won't work with you on this.
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwantin View Post
Then what's the big fuss?
It seems to me the big fuss is not being able to achieve something and blaming someone/something else as the reason why, or why not. Fair dinkum mate. Biggest pile of horse hockey I've seen this year!

I've already advised the OP that he's wasting his time compiling the mainstream kernel for the RPi, unless he's doing it for education purposes, etc. It's a LOT of work compared to using the Raspberry Pi GitHub kernel which is pre-configured for the device(s). Therefore, it makes good sense to use it, and learn all about it, before trying to get to grips with the mainstream kernel. You have to be able to walk before trying to run.

Compiling a kernel is a little more involved than running a makefile or SlackBuild script. I get the impression the OP would like it to be as effortless and simple. That's never going to happen.

I spent quite a lot of time building mainstream kernels for the RPis until I realised it didn't make a damned difference whether the mainstream kernel or the RPi flavoured kernel was running with Slackware ARM. The only benefit being; my personal satisfaction of knowing the kernel that I'd built hadn't been fiddled with, only by me. Although, my personal failures far outnumber my successes. To this day that still holds true. As you know, it's often a case of finding out what doesn't work many, many times over until you find out what does work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorsplitz View Post
so you do still exist Exaga, cheers!
je vous en prie
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #62
justwantin
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Distribution: Slackware, Slackwarearm
Posts: 743

Rep: Reputation: 78
Quote:
As you know, it's often a case of finding out what doesn't work many, many times over until you find out what does work.
A way while back I did some project management for a very switched on entrepreneur up in the Territory. People often sought his advice. I once remarked to him that he was a real expert to which he replied that he was the sum total of all his mistakes and that one only needs to know a couple more things than the rest to be the expert in the room.
 
Old 04-06-2019, 01:53 AM   #63
PragmaticCypher
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2016
Posts: 21

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Are there SlackBuild's for the sarpi.fatdog.eu's system packages (incl. kernel) available? I was surprised I could not find any.
 
Old 04-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #64
Exaga
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 135

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PragmaticCypher View Post
Are there SlackBuild's for the sarpi.fatdog.eu's system packages (incl. kernel) available? I was surprised I could not find any.
No. The SARPi build scripts are not available.

I'd hate to see a multitude of modified/thrown-together/botched SARPi versions out there. And, in that reality, just _who_ do you think would get the blame for someone else's voodoo-Slacking?

However, when the SARPi Project first began we used a highly modified version of Dave Spencer's [Daves Collective] build scripts for creating the installer and packages on the RPi [1], and continue to do so to this day. We make changes and do updates as required but it's basically the same set of scripts we started out with in 2012. For the RPi 2 and 3 we wrote our own build scripts based on Dave's work. Probably not as efficient in the code but they have the same end result.

If you are interested in building your own Slackware ARM installer(s) for the RPis then Dave's Collective is THE best place to start!

Last edited by Exaga; 04-06-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: corrected URL
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:55 AM   #65
PragmaticCypher
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2016
Posts: 21

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
First, thanks for setting up the project and the pointer to Dave Spencer's repo :+1:

Quote:
I'd hate to see a multitude of modified/thrown-together/botched SARPi versions out there. And, in that reality, just _who_ do you think would get the blame for someone else's voodoo-Slacking?
This may be less of a problem than you perceive. We are operating in an open-source environment where people would expect to come across modified versions. After all, how is the situation any different from Slackware's?
 
Old 04-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #66
Exaga
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 135

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PragmaticCypher View Post
First, thanks for setting up the project and the pointer to Dave Spencer's repo :+1:
You're welcome. Back in early-mid 2012 there was a gaping void between Slackware ARM and the Raspberry Pi and thats why the project came into being. We were planning to write our own build scripts from scratch but when we found Dave's Collective it just made more sense to use his work and save some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PragmaticCypher View Post
This may be less of a problem than you perceive. We are operating in an open-source environment where people would expect to come across modified versions. After all, how is the situation any different from Slackware's?
I don't need to perceive how serious a problem is, or insignificant. Especially when the problem doesn't exist.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:40 AM   #67
PragmaticCypher
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2016
Posts: 21

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unfortunately this is a problem for me, and I'll have to find an alternative. One of the reasons I use Slackware is it is mostly Open Source, however this essentially makes core components closed.
 
Old 04-30-2019, 05:07 PM   #68
Exaga
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 135

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PragmaticCypher View Post
Unfortunately this is a problem for me, and I'll have to find an alternative. One of the reasons I use Slackware is it is mostly Open Source, however this essentially makes core components closed.
Closed source, like the Raspberry Pi firmware you mean? Sure. I get your point.

However, SARPi is nothing but a method to install Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 1,2, or 3. It's Slackware ARM that's installed not SARPi. SARPi is not an operating system or anything which encroaches on Slackware ARM, other than facilitating the installation of the OS. Which core components are you referring to? Are you suggesting that Slackware ARM is diminished in some way because the build scripts for SARPi installers are not available to download or view?

SARPi takes MoZes' minirootfs and the closed source firmware from RPi GitHub and mashes it together in a union that obviously works, but shouldn't really be allowed. I never used to have a problem with the RPi firmware being closed source but, as I have grown over time in knowledge and experience, I now see disparity between the openness and transparency of Slackware ARM and the BS surrounding the Raspberry Pi in certain areas. Closed source firmware being one of those areas.

My closing questions are; Why do you want the SARPi installer code to be made publicly available? Are you interested in taking the project on yourself, hence saving fatdog.nl the time/trouble/effort of managing, maintaining, and hosting it? Was your visit to the Mecca of Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi [i.e. Dave's Collective] not as inspriational and productive as you'd imagined or hoped?
 
Old 04-30-2019, 07:51 PM   #69
glorsplitz
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Distribution: slackware!
Posts: 708

Rep: Reputation: 139Reputation: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaga View Post
Are you interested in taking the project on yourself, hence saving fatdog.nl the time/trouble/effort of managing, maintaining, and hosting it?
So you can kick back and post threads like this?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:45 AM   #70
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Surrey, England
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 816

Rep: Reputation: 610Reputation: 610Reputation: 610Reputation: 610Reputation: 610Reputation: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorsplitz View Post
So you can kick back and post threads like this?
One can re-build the ARM packages from the ARM source tree by following the instructions, but many of the ARM port's tools are not open and never will be, for a variety of reasons.

I think he just doesn't want to share it :-)
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:02 AM   #71
PragmaticCypher
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2016
Posts: 21

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
"SARPi takes MoZes' minirootfs and the closed source firmware from RPi GitHub and mashes it together in a union that obviously works, but shouldn't really be allowed. I never used to have a problem with the RPi firmware being closed source but, as I have grown over time in knowledge and experience, I now see disparity between the openness and transparency of Slackware ARM and the BS surrounding the Raspberry Pi in certain areas. Closed source firmware being one of those areas."

Agreed, this is annoying.

"My closing questions are; Why do you want the SARPi installer code to be made publicly available? Are you interested in taking the project on yourself, hence saving fatdog.nl the time/trouble/effort of managing, maintaining, and hosting it? Was your visit to the Mecca of Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi [i.e. Dave's Collective] not as inspriational and productive as you'd imagined or hoped?"

My "thank you" earlier was not insincere. Its mainly the System Packages, i.e. Kernel + modules. The website setup and instructions are great.
 
Old 05-02-2019, 01:34 PM   #72
Exaga
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 135

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorsplitz View Post
So you can kick back and post threads like this?
No. Yes. Perhaps. It's certainly worth considering but, hmmm, I'm not 100% sure. What kind of question is this anyway? It doesn't even hint or allude towards any Jaffa cakes what-so-ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmozes View Post
One can re-build the ARM packages from the ARM source tree by following the instructions, but many of the ARM port's tools are not open and never will be, for a variety of reasons.
The integrity and reputation of Slackware must be respected in any SARPi work we decide to publicly release. We control that aspect because we're maintaining the build scripts, creation process(es), testing, released software, etc. If we made those build scripts available to the public, who knows what personal additions and modifications people would carry out in order to "make it better"? SARPi doesn't need to be messed about with. It works as intended and pretty damned flawlessly, just like Slackware [ARM]. There's no way I would risk polluting what we do for the Slackware ARM community, however great or small that risk may be, by allowing others to DIY their own SARPi shizzle using our means, methods, and scripts/tools/Jaffa cakes to achieve it.

I understand how many of Slackware ARM port's tools are not open and never will be, for a variety of reasons. One of those reasons must be because you don't want me to see that your bash scripting is a lot messier than mine!

PS - I was joking about the Jaffa cakes. Obviously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmozes View Post
I think he just doesn't want to share it :-)
Not biting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PragmaticCypher View Post
My "thank you" earlier was not insincere. Its mainly the System Packages, i.e. Kernel + modules. The website setup and instructions are great.
OK. I'm going to assume here that you're looking for an effortless way to build a kernel and modules and put them in neat little Slackware.txz packages for you. By all means correct me if I am misunderstanding and/or have misread your intentions.

Building the Linux kernal/modules, and putting them in packages is quite a big topic, depending on your current knowledge and experience in this area of Slackware Linux. It's not necessarily an easy process but certainly not too difficult. However, what you may gain from such a venture is potentially HUGE and I'm all for Slackers getting their hands dirty and doing some real interesting educational work. Let me know where you're at or what you're looking for and I will try to point you in the right direction.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] KODI Leia - 18.x MediaPlayer - Optimized for Raspberry Pi1/Zero/Pi2B/Pi3B(+) on Slackware ARM 14.2 SF & Slackware ARM - current HF abga Slackware - ARM 8 05-07-2019 04:55 PM
[SOLVED] KODI Krypton - 17.x MediaPlayer - Optimized for Raspberry Pi1/Pi2/Pi3 on Slackware ARM 14.2 SF & Slackware ARM - current HF abga Slackware - ARM 40 08-28-2018 08:50 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - ARM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration