LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2021, 09:47 PM   #1
Tshane
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2021
Posts: 14

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
running mariadb on current


Hey y'all

Is anyone running the latest up to date -current, running in an active way mariadb, successfully?

I've read other threads and googled which is reported it fails, and strangely Pat has never addressed those folk about it, and google shows on mariadb bug tracker mariadb devs pointing finger at slackware being at fault, and well I see the changelog says maybe close to beta - although I'm sure we saw that a year or two ago as well, but anyways, I'm gonna make the plunge this weekend, but first I'm hoping to see people are successfully running it in production, unlike some I dont have 50 servers to play with, I have one, its personal and business mail/web/blog/forums all in one, so you see I cant afford to have it all drop dead on me for 12 hours whilst I reinstall an rsync backup on 14.0 (yeh yeh, my bad for running oldie verz)

anyways, hope you guys can give me some good news or pointers that Pat is trying to fix why it dont work?

Oh please please please dont comment it works, if you do not as I said earlier, run it doing real stuff 24/7 yourself, third party hear say is no good to me, or anyone.

TIA
 
Old 04-08-2021, 10:17 PM   #2
RadicalDreamer
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 1,436

Rep: Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716
This what you are referring to https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV...Y%20due%20DESC ?

MDEV-24922 and MDEV-24745 are this year.

Last edited by RadicalDreamer; 04-08-2021 at 10:24 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:38 PM   #3
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: West Jordan, UT, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 8,259

Rep: Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845Reputation: 5845
Why don't you try it in a VM before installing it on bare hardware. That will allow you to see for yourself whether mariadb is working properly or not without sacrificing the reliability of your system.
 
Old 04-08-2021, 10:39 PM   #4
bw42
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 43

Rep: Reputation: 30
So, it appears you are wanting to know if an issue is fixed, without saying what the actual issue is.
Some info on the specific issue you are asking about would be helpful.


It also sounds like you are planning on doing a major upgrade from a 9 year old distro to a current development branch.
I really recommend you don't upgrade to -current for a production system, especially not an in place upgrade from such an old distro.
I would highly recommend setting up a test system first, and waiting until the stable 15.0 release comes out before attempting your plans.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:35 PM   #5
walecha
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Location: Malang, +62
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 95

Rep: Reputation: 18
What is the problem? Yes I am using glibc multilib from AlienBOB, but again, what is the problem?

- mariadb-10.5.9-x86_64-1
- glibc-2.33_multilib-x86_64-2alien

Code:
210409 11:31:55 mysqld_safe Starting mariadbd daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] /usr/libexec/mariadbd (mysqld 10.5.9-MariaDB) starting as process 13905 ...
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [ERROR] mariadbd: Can't open shared library '/usr/lib64/mysql/plugin/ha_tokudb.so' (errno: 22, cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [ERROR] Couldn't load plugins from 'ha_tokudb.so'.
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] InnoDB: Uses event mutexes
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.11
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] InnoDB: Number of pools: 1
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] InnoDB: Using crc32 + pclmulqdq instructions
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] mariadbd: O_TMPFILE is not supported on /tmp (disabling future attempts)
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] InnoDB: Using Linux native AIO
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, total size = 134217728, chunk size = 134217728
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] InnoDB: If the mysqld execution user is authorized, page cleaner thread priority can be changed. See the man page of setpriority().
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] InnoDB: 128 rollback segments are active.
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] InnoDB: Creating shared tablespace for temporary tables
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] InnoDB: Setting file './ibtmp1' size to 12 MB. Physically writing the file full; Please wait ...
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] InnoDB: File './ibtmp1' size is now 12 MB.
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] InnoDB: 10.5.9 started; log sequence number 155762558; transaction id 10267
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] InnoDB: Loading buffer pool(s) from /var/lib/mysql/ib_buffer_pool
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] Plugin 'FEEDBACK' is disabled.
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] Reading of all Master_info entries succeeded
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] Added new Master_info '' to hash table
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] /usr/libexec/mariadbd: ready for connections.
Version: '10.5.9-MariaDB'  socket: '/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock'  port: 0  MariaDB Server
2021-04-09 11:31:55 0 [Note] InnoDB: Buffer pool(s) load completed at 210409 11:31:55
 
Old 04-09-2021, 01:16 AM   #6
Nobby6
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia
Distribution: Skackware 64
Posts: 99

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalDreamer View Post
This what you are referring to https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV...Y%20due%20DESC ?

MDEV-24922 and MDEV-24745 are this year.

As one of the two jira reporters, I can confirm the issue is not resolved, as the responses in Charlie's ticket eludes to, it appears limited in failure to those using Pentium CPU's, in particular older CPU's, or at least that's all we know about at this time.

I can't recall if I made comment on it on here or not, but others have and have pretty much been ignored, so I might have not for also fear of being labelled a troll like Pat did one already.

In the dev world this results in " I got no clue it only affect X people I can count on one hand so I will pretend I dont see it " in years gone by with projects I was involved in, I too am guilty of such offences :P
 
Old 04-09-2021, 01:17 AM   #7
Nobby6
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia
Distribution: Skackware 64
Posts: 99

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw42 View Post
So, it appears you are wanting to know if an issue is fixed, without saying what the actual issue is.
Some info on the specific issue you are asking about would be helpful.


It also sounds like you are planning on doing a major upgrade from a 9 year old distro to a current development branch.
I really recommend you don't upgrade to -current for a production system, especially not an in place upgrade from such an old distro.
I would highly recommend setting up a test system first, and waiting until the stable 15.0 release comes out before attempting your plans.

looking to increase your post count?

I read that as he was wanting replies from anyone successfully running it, that pretty much leaves a yes or no response, replies like yours are not what OP was asking for.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:58 AM   #8
Petri Kaukasoina
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 689

Rep: Reputation: 447Reputation: 447Reputation: 447Reputation: 447Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalDreamer View Post
In the last comment by Marko Mäkelä for MDEV-24745, he offers to debug it if someone with the problem gives him a remote access.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:08 AM   #9
RadicalDreamer
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 1,436

Rep: Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby6 View Post
As one of the two jira reporters, I can confirm the issue is not resolved, as the responses in Charlie's ticket eludes to, it appears limited in failure to those using Pentium CPU's, in particular older CPU's, or at least that's all we know about at this time.

I can't recall if I made comment on it on here or not, but others have and have pretty much been ignored, so I might have not for also fear of being labelled a troll like Pat did one already.

In the dev world this results in " I got no clue it only affect X people I can count on one hand so I will pretend I dont see it " in years gone by with projects I was involved in, I too am guilty of such offences :P
Pat checks the forum so he probably saw problems people have but that doesn't mean he can do anything about them. The only people I've seen Pat have issues with are those that deserved it because of their bad attitude. No one wants to listen to a spoiled entitled brat that is spamming threads. People need to start a thread about their issues and share the information they have on it. If someone comes up with a solution, Pat may incorporate it into Slackware. He may even downgrade a particular piece of software if it can be shown that it is more stable.
 
Old 04-09-2021, 02:13 AM   #10
ponce
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Pisa, Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 6,143

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshane View Post
Hey y'all

Is anyone running the latest up to date -current, running in an active way mariadb, successfully?

[...]

Oh please please please dont comment it works, if you do not as I said earlier, run it doing real stuff 24/7 yourself, third party hear say is no good to me, or anyone.
I do, I run always the latest version of it on current in production on multiple hosts serving a lot of different stuff since four years with no hiccups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby6 View Post
As one of the two jira reporters, I can confirm the issue is not resolved, as the responses in Charlie's ticket eludes to, it appears limited in failure to those using Pentium CPU's, in particular older CPU's, or at least that's all we know about at this time.
if this is something CPU-specific personally I cannot see anywhere else than upstream to fix this: the build options that Slackware uses doesn't seem to involve any particular optimization.
In the other report a developer explained that if you don't debug it in the same environment with a build with debug symbols on it's nearly impossible to understand what's happening, so it's no use to blame X or Y.

EDIT: Petri has been faster!
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:24 AM   #11
bw42
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 43

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby6 View Post
looking to increase your post count?

I read that as he was wanting replies from anyone successfully running it, that pretty much leaves a yes or no response, replies like yours are not what OP was asking for.
He said multiple things about an issue without specifying what issue he was talking about.
And said he was going to upgrade his server from 14.0 to -current, which I recommended against doing.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:18 PM   #12
Tshane
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2021
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce View Post
I do, I run always the latest version of it on current in production on multiple hosts serving a lot of different stuff since four years with no hiccups.


great, thank you ponce, sounds like their problem wont be mine, I'll be do a full backup of os and databases are backed up hourly anyway.

I'll take the plunge sunday
 
Old 04-09-2021, 09:21 PM   #13
Tshane
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2021
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw42 View Post
He said multiple things about an issue without specifying what issue he was talking about.
And said he was going to upgrade his server from 14.0 to -current, which I recommended against doing.
my question was as clear as crystal as ponce deduced by replying with yes it works, not 500 questions, nobby6 was right you're just trolling my thread, now go away
 
Old 04-09-2021, 09:28 PM   #14
Tshane
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2021
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
Why don't you try it in a VM before installing it on bare hardware. That will allow you to see for yourself whether mariadb is working properly or not without sacrificing the reliability of your system.
another one who did not read my post

this is my first time posting on lq but I have been a long time reader, so I should have expected usual suspects to troll
 
Old 04-09-2021, 09:33 PM   #15
Tshane
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2021
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby6 View Post
looking to increase your post count?

I read that as he was wanting replies from anyone successfully running it, that pretty much leaves a yes or no response, replies like yours are not what OP was asking for.
like most the regular posters here they just cant help themselves, they are incapable of reading properly, nor answering with what a OP was asking. they call that trolling.

maybe its my fault, maybe rather than say "dont reply it works unless you actually running it full time" to dont reply unless your actually running it and it works" /me sighs
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: KDE Participating in Google Summer of Code 2019, MariaDB Releasing New Open-Source MariaDB Enterprise Server, CentOS Celebrates 15th B LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-28-2019 06:50 AM
[SOLVED] akonadi mysql mariadb kmail korganizer trouble on current and with kde4 and kde5 mrapathy Slackware 8 10-28-2017 08:43 AM
[SOLVED] MariaDB TokuDB plugin load issue in current. matusz Slackware 1 09-05-2017 12:06 AM
[SOLVED] current, akonadi, mariadb, mysql and kmail pchristy Slackware 4 03-17-2016 06:43 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration