LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #61
luvr
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Boom - The Home Town of Tomorrowland, Belgium
Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Xubuntu
Posts: 323
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 136Reputation: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioh View Post
Another feature request would be to add elilo / UEFI support, which could be a bit more difficult as the Kernel and the initrd have to be copied over to /boot/efi/EFI/Slackware/ and according symlinks have to be generated there.
The thought has just crossed my mind that the EFI system partition has a FAT-something file system (unless I'm mistaken). That doesn't support symlinks, does it?
 
Old 11-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #62
lioh
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2019
Location: Switzerland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 70

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvr View Post
The thought has just crossed my mind that the EFI system partition has a FAT-something file system (unless I'm mistaken). That doesn't support symlinks, does it?
No, it does not support EFI, but that's not the main reason one has to copy over the kernel/initrd on every update. The other partitions are not available at this time, so you could not link from /boot/efi to e.g. /boot which would make the situation a bit easier.
 
Old 11-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #63
luvr
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Boom - The Home Town of Tomorrowland, Belgium
Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Xubuntu
Posts: 323
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 136Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioh View Post
No, it does not support EFI, but that's not the main reason one has to copy over the kernel/initrd on every update. The other partitions are not available at this time, so you could not link from /boot/efi to e.g. /boot which would make the situation a bit easier.
Sorry, I think you misunderstood, or I may not have expressed myself clearly enough.

The issue is not about where to make the symlinks point to (I get it that they cannot point outside the EFI partition).

The issue is about the inability to create the symlinks in the first place. To the best of my knowledge, the FAT-formatted EFI partition simply doesn't support the notion of symlinks, or does it?
 
Old 11-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #64
lioh
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2019
Location: Switzerland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 70

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
The issue is about the inability to create the symlinks in the first place. To the best of my knowledge, the FAT-formatted EFI partition simply doesn't support the notion of symlinks, or does it?
No, it does not support symlinks.
 
  


Reply

Tags
kernel, lilo, slackware -current, sysadmin, upgrade


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Upgraded distro which upgraded perl and modules from old version not transferred to new. systemlordanubis Linux - Software 1 03-25-2018 04:37 AM
[SOLVED] slackpkg+: how to keep one package in slackware being upgraded by a 3rd party repos? michaelslack Slackware 9 12-15-2014 07:28 AM
[SOLVED] keyboard stopped working in X when I upgraded udev from 1.75 to 1.82After I upgraded RandomTroll Slackware 3 07-26-2012 03:48 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration